Spring is here ......

Rob Keeble

Well came in from the shop this evening to start the Family Day BBQ and what do you know the first of a couple of doves have arrived. I dont know if they were in a hurry to get mating or just flying from tree to tree because they were cold. :D But they sure are the first signs of spring. I hope these idiots survive the night because it aint warm out there tonight.

Anyone else up in our elevations seen any birds or others arriving yet.?:)

We've got doves year-round, and just this morning I saw a robin - in the snow! Spring doesn't really get here until the juncos leave, though. They winter-over here.

Spring ain't here yet. :(:( We've got about 5" (and still coming) of fresh snow on the ground, and it's supposed to go down to 14°F tonight.

Watching my snow melt is like studying an ancient ice core. I can see the history of the whole winter.

Hey look, there's the chains I lost!
There's the layer of sand and salt I tossed down in December.
I was wondering where THAT shovel went.

Winter is over. Our brief spring has sprung. Here's a shot from work during Spring Break (no students). That's about it; on to summer . . .

Attachments

• UCR-Courtyard-sm.jpg
    UCR-Courtyard-sm.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 26
The Japanese plumb trees are all blooming down the roads and the temp has been getting into the 50's. Got sunshine right now. I'm heading out to the shop to finish some cabinets.

While we did get colder weather here and a little snow, when it is 80+% humidity and in the mid 30's it's cold. It just seeps through your clothes no matter what you wear. I hope that weather stays away now.

I've got a couple envelopes on my desk right now if someone wants me to try and send them some sunshine and 50 degrees...:D By the time the postoffice gets done with them though, they will probably have lost all their sunshine.:(

Well came in from the shop this evening to start the Family Day BBQ and what do you know the first of a couple of doves have arrived. I dont know if they were in a hurry to get mating or just flying from tree to tree because they were cold. :D But they sure are the first signs of spring. I hope these idiots survive the night because it aint warm out there tonight.

Anyone else up in our elevations seen any birds or others arriving yet.?:)
How does this grab you, Rob! Hanging from a feeder on the clothesline!
attachment.php

That's a female downy woodpecker feeding on a suet block!

Well, I painted my septic tank this weekend and just got done rebuilding the irrigation pump and redoing the plumbing at the tank...

The previous owners put an old septic tank up on the hill behind the house and used it as a tank for irrigation water. It's clean inside...

Anywho, it was leaking all around, so I tried to patch up the leaks with hydraulic cement and painted it with some drylok concreate paint. Then the pump and plumbing was leaking pretty bad, so I redid all of that. I'll probably have to get a new pump pretty soon...

Filling up the tank and getting ready to test out the drip irrigation tomorrow!

Almost jumped in the pool today...don't need anymore damage to my body just yet. 77 last 2 days. Should head down to seasonal norms by Wednesday with rain on Thurs or Friday...crazy :dunno:

I know, NPDH, So here's a pic of my irrigation tank. I actually even repainted the pump blue. Why? Because it was rust colored before and a new one will cost 300$! (I still might need a new one soon).

attachment.php

Attachments

• FWW-2959.jpg
    FWW-2959.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 23
74.8 °F
Partly Cloudy
Humidity: 11%
Wind: 1.0 mph from the WSW
Visibility: 45.0 miles
Dew Point: 17 °F
Precipitation: 0% chance of rain