Sycamore goblets

Dennis Ford

I am doing a demo Saturday; "Natural Edge Goblets" so made a practice run today. These were slinging water this morning but after a few runs in the microwave, they were ready for lacquer. The tall one is 7-1/4" x 3-1/4", the other is 6-3/4" x 3". Bradford Pear or Mulberry makes better looking goblets but I did not have either, the Sycamore cut nicely but is a little bland.

Attachments

• Sycamore_Goblets.jpg
    Sycamore_Goblets.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 59
Bland, maybe...but it shows the goblet off very well. Are they one piece of is a little assembly required? Very nice Dennis:thumb:

Those are really nice... I never seem to have good luck with the natural edge and leaving the bark on.... also need to work on getting my stems thin .... really good job.

I have a little Bradford Pear laying around... mostly in bowl blank, but there might be a couple of small logs that could make a goblet...

Those are great looking goblets. I'm curious if the stems have stayed straight after a few days to dry. I've tuned a few from green wood but not that thin of stems. Mine usually warp quite a bit.

Very nice Dennis! Incredibly "dainty" looking... Im just imagining me with a sharp skew in the same room as those pieces spinning..... I do not see the same outcome. Oh, and nowhere near as pretty.:doh:
I think it's almost time to get over my finial phobia! (but not today)

Those are great looking goblets. I'm curious if the stems have stayed straight after a few days to dry. I've tuned a few from green wood but not that thin of stems. Mine usually warp quite a bit.

Most of mine have warped also, a few moved so much that they would not stand up anymore. Usually, I don't mind if they warp a little (it adds to the organic character of the bark edge). These two were still pretty straight today. I donated them to "empty bowls", maybe they will still be straight for the auction. If they warp, maybe someone will want drunken goblets.