Did someone mention cookies?

I think I'll need a bunch to munch while I free fall into this abyss.:eek:

First off, never touched a lathe until today, though I once 'turned' a profit, back in '72 IIRC :rofl: . Found this 12x36 Craftsman on CL for $50.00, and the tools for $20.00 from the same fella. Hope it's good enough to learn something with, even if it's nothing more than the physics of projectiles vs old & slow reflexes. :rofl:

Here's how it came home...

and after a little cleaning...

Question... there was a stabilizer plate{smaller of the two, below} and what I assume is a sanding disc plate, anyways...was the stabilizer just a fluke in the box of parts,or is there a time in turning one would use one?

Tomorrow I plan a rewiring the power and starring at my little work space wondering where this will fit, maybe even tackle some sharpening. :woohoo:

Worse comes to worst, I can say I 'turned' loose of some cash for a large paper weight.:dunno:

PS: hope not to drive ya all crazy with too many questions :p

Ah, another one bites the dust. :thumb: While it's a bit limited compared to many of the newer machines, that lathe should be plenty good to get you hooked. :D Then it'll probably become the most expensive $70 you've ever spent as you hike along the upgrade path, and you'll love every minute of it. :p Congrats, Ken.

I have no idea what the two disks are for. :dunno: I'm not familiar with that particular lathe, but I suspect there are others here who've turned on one.

I think that bigger disk is for a table saw sanding disk. Maybe not though, looks pretty thin. You will enjoy the lathe but start saving your money for the next one. I will cost you a lot more and it will happen.

Congrats. You will enjoy.
I have a friend who has one of those and turns out some beautiful work. He can afford anything he wants but just doesn't see the need to upgrade.
And, do ask questions. That is the reason the forum exists.

Do your self a favor. Take your wallet in and give it to the wife to keep. If you don't do that you can't say we didn't warn you that the up grades where going to get expansive. :thumb::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:
yes we tell everyone we have cookies. What we leave out is our cookies are expansive.:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Welcome to the Vortex, Ken.

RULE #1 - Never stand in the "Fly zone!

Rule #2 - Keep your tools VERY Sharp.

Rule #3 - Practice

Rule #4 - HAVE FUN!!!!!!!

Good luck and pleasant Practice sessions. Remember--- All of us were where you are now.

Bruce

Rule #5 Ask lot's of questions :huh:

Rule #6 take lot's of pic's to chronicle your fall :wave:

Rule #7 Have a list of stuff to buy your wife before you ask for the next vortex sucker thingy:rofl::rofl:

Have a ball!!!! :thumb:

Here ya go Ken, some cookies, as promised. Fresh batch of Vortex cookies...

3622455984_8af7408f00.jpg

After reading about all the future expenses, I was half a step away from posting it back up for sale....Then I saw those cookies....Mmmmm cooooookies :D

Thanks for the congrats folks and for the safety tips...It's quite the sight when I put on the face shield with my respirator and prescription safety glasses, wireless headphones, along with a full beard, ears like open doors on a car, sweats, sandals, baseball cap....oops, sorry if you got a visual from that :eek::rofl:

Happy weekend everybody!

...It's quite the sight when I put on the face shield with my respirator and prescription safety glasses, wireless headphones, along with a full beard, ears like open doors on a car, sweats, sandals, baseball cap...

Chase the neighborhood kids off your lawn a time or two in that get-up and you won't ever have to worry about the little rugrats ever bothering you again. :rofl: