What is it?

Ok got a few requests for item ID's.

First a hammer, comes from Owensboro KY area. Probably has something to do with the whiskey industry. Any better ideas?

picture.php

picture.php

Next a knife. Anybody know anything about it? Guy found it buried in a box, under a crawl space. Newburg, Ind area.

picture.php

picture.php

I think the hammer is for driving the bung into whiskey barrels.

I've seen knives similar to that one in the Philippines. Originally intended for use like a machete - cutting away vines, etc. in the jungle - but they make truly formidable weapons, too.

Dunno about the first object.
The knife is a kukri used by Gurkha's from the Philippines.
It is designed for efficiently cutting off heads.

What! The movie Indiana Jones was wrong and the Gurkha's are not from Nepal & Northern India! Just goes to shows you, you can't trust what you see in the movies.....or read on the internet.:rofl:

I get all my information from the movies.:D

Dunno about the first object.
The knife is a kukri used by Gurkha's from the Philippines.
It is designed for efficiently cutting off heads.

Frank you got the name of the knife correct, but the Gurkhas are from Nepal, there is even an area of the country that they conquered long ago that is named after them, not the other way round. :D

That is one nice looking knife.

I guess that hammer could be used for something to do with the bung on a cask, but in all the wineries I've been to all I've ever seen to drive or remove a bung on a wine cask is a regular old wooden mallet :dunno:

Hummm, are those notches in the blade for number of heads cut off?

Paul if i recall correctly from a Ghurka knife my friends father had post war, the notches in the blade lock it in the scabbard so you cannot just pull it out it kinda goes sideways and locks.

Steve you got the scabbard for the knife cause its pretty valueless with out it. You can pick em up for about $40 bucks with the scabbard and two little knives on the web.

Cool finds. What did you pay for them?

The first item looks like a caulk hammer for caulking seams on wooden ships. You use a wide wide wedge kind of like a brick chisel to drive oakum into the seams of hull and deck planks. It is sometimes done by two people-1 with the oakum and wedge and 1 on the hammer working in sync. Makes it real fast.