Hayrake Dining Table

That is a cool detail. It seems to need something on the top to balance out the bottom, maybe some small bracket corner braces of the same style between the legs and the stretchers? Or an arched tressle across the end?
The other Larry

Thanks Larry. The design isn't mine but it does have a nice bracket detail underneath. you should check out the Video Workshop on the Fine Woodworking site.

5482207074_893d719bee.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Larry. The design isn't mine but it does have a nice bracket detail underneath. you should check out the Video Workshop on the Fine Woodworking site.

I'd love to but I have windows 98 with dialup, same reason I can't post pictures. :rolleyes:

I may update soon, but every time I think about it they come up with something new....

There is more and more cool stuff on youtube that I am missing, so as soon as work picks back up i'll bite the bullet.

I understand. I just recently updated my telephone from Campbell's soup cans and cotton string to Progresso and fishing line. :D

I hope you can update soon.

Dave

Very timely as usual Dave. I had been looking at this hayrake joinery and the stopped chamfer had me stumped in SU. I saw this thread and jumped over to your article an Fine Woodworking Online - (http://www.finewoodworking.com/item/35684/stopped-curved-chamfers) to check it out.

I can see my approach was a kludge and now see (although involved looking) that the method you used makes good sense. Thanks again for all your efforts in unlocking this great tools for woodworkers.

thank you Glenn. It does look involved but it is really quite simple and straightforward to do. Takes longer to read about it than to really do it. The idea can be used for all sorts of things. The chamfers on the straight parts were done exactly the same way. And the same process can be used for stopped flutes on a column or any number of other sorts of shaping components.

Ok, now I am going to have to wait for it to download.....

I do a lot of stopped chamfers in my work, and always did it with a chisel, but lately I have had to do reproductions in Azek, and Azek does not chisel well. Not bad on the small chamfers, but many columns have about an inch and a quarter chamfer. I made up a jig that will cut them sideways at the end with a couple of bits I ground out from HSS, but it is slow.

I'll download it while I am sleeping......