oil stains from vinly clamp pads

I have had that Larry and stains from space balls. For me they sanded out and no ill effects when staining. You have seen that here first handed:p:)

Larry I have had the same thing happen to me. In my cases I have just done a light sanding and they went away, and so far have not caused me any problem with finishing I feel like it might be the polymers in the plastic that are causing this. I have noticed on some of my older clamps that the pads have hardened up on, the staining does not appear any longer for some reason. I have started using cork for clamp pads where I am concerned with the problem and so far I have had good results with that
Chuck

well sanding on this part is not a simple task,, its pre made piece that has some irregularites in it that makes sanding a extended problem..tried washing it with Lacquer thinner and DNA hoping it would dissolve the stain and disappear has helped but could use more,, i think it will disappear with the finish:rolleyes:

I've had it too, but can't remember what I did about it. Maybe you can cause one on a piece of scrap and then see what finish does over it, if you can't sand.

There was some actual response from Jorgensen on this at one point but, then they just dropped the conversation. My cheap-o replacement pads don't do it but, they also don't last like the Jorgies. The plastic dip that I have dipped many clamp ends into does not leave it either. I used to try MS, DNA, etc but sanding was all that really got rid of it. You are right that if it is really light, a darker colored finish will cover it. just try to avoid it whenever possible. Too bad they don't just correct the problem.

Hi Ya Larry

Any chance acetone would do the trick. I know you said DNA but i think they different solvents.:dunno:

My guess is the stuff in the vinyl is oil based i was thinking perhaps the acetone would lift it.

Tom you know i always wondered about those space ball thingys. They made of rubber and over time certain rubber does degrade.

Hi Ya Larry

Any chance acetone would do the trick. I know you said DNA but i think they different solvents.:dunno:

My guess is the stuff in the vinyl is oil based i was thinking perhaps the acetone would lift it.

Tom you know i always wondered about those space ball thingys. They made of rubber and over time certain rubber does degrade.

on the space balls they just need some room is all and that was toms main problem he was to tight...but it did clear up..acetone might do it rob will try that i got most of it with lac thinner..

My Jorgensen clamps do this to me also. Kinda tee'd me off. I removed the pads and am going to use leather pads instead.

I've found it a real booger to try and get them out. The best success I've had is putting a mineral spirit (lightly) soaked rag on the spot for a while and then rubbing it out with the same rag. I figure an oil finish would probably hide it, but don't know about a water based product over the spot, if it would blend in or not.

My bessey clamps don't do this.:dunno:

Brian

I've never had that happen to me yet. Is this a first time for this Larry? What were they used to clamp up before this if this is the first time it's happened. I think a little blue tape on the pads would help to eliminate any problems like that in the future.:wave:

they were used for wood alan prior.. and yes a littel but not this degree. i had left them on over night and usually i just leave them 30 Mins..so will use your tape trick next time but one would think that a clamp pad would be made of somethinig that wouldnt cause more greif.. these are the small irwin squezze jobs for light work..

Try cleaning the pads with denatured alcohol and see if anything comes off of them. I'm kind of curiuos on this. I have a couple of these and never experienced any stains.:dunno:

take and squess them tight on a piece of maple or walnut leave them over night and see what yu get.. its coming from the yelo pads alan and these arent new..i had all eight of them do it last night...and i do have squezze power:)

I dont use the rubber or plactic pads. I have replaced them with cork with I glue on with ca clue and when they get worn it scrap them off and replace them.

I dont use the rubber or plactic pads. I have replaced them with cork with I glue on with ca clue and when they get worn it scrap them off and replace them.

Thats a really good idea..

Been cleaning up my shop and have found several rolls of cork laying around...:thumb: