New router question

Sayer Fancher

I need a little help please. I just bought a PC4216 Dovetail jig and of course my old Craftsman router now needs replacing. What is a good router to buy? Do I need a plunge router or fixed base? I have read tons of reviews and am totally confused. I'm told I should get a variable speed, I would like to use this to learn inlays as well as use it for general carpentry use. Bosh 1617evspk seems to have good reviews and Wood Magazine says the Craftsman 17543 combo does well but I read reviews saying the settings dont stay put. The Craftsman combo is on sale for 79.00, seems awful cheap? Thanks for any help and I hope I posted this correctly.

Sayer, welcome to the forum. You post might get more answers if it were a seperate thread. I can move it if youd like .
In answer to your question, I have the Milwaukii 5615 it is a combo kit and you can get it for 99 on Amazon most of the time. It is a great unit.

which router to buy?

Thanks Don., I will look into the Milwauki..Please move this post to the correct place, i'm still learning how to move around the site. Thanks for your help.

I have a few different brands of routers. The Milwaukees are my go-to machines. The 5616 (2-1/4HP) has enough steam to do most jobs. The 5615 (1-3/4HP) is a bit lighter and I use it for all but the toughest jig work. The motors are interchangeable amongst bases and I have plunge and fixed for both. This comes in handy for task specific bases; just pop in the motor that has the power you need.

5615 - fixed speed, no soft start (although the start is pretty soft anyway)
5616 - variable speed with soft start and electronic feedback

Both have the body grip fixed base and the plunge base is smoother than many dedicated plunge machines. Everyone seems to have a favorite router brand/format as they are fairly personal tools. Of all my routers 5 are Milwaukees.

I have a Ridgid and no complaints here. Comes with a fixed and plunge base. Variable speed. Can't recall all the specs. I am sitting at the airport or I would look. I am happy with it. Price is right also.

I have an ancient, fixed base, single speed PC I inherited. Works fine and has seen much use.
But, I wanted a plunger and checked WW magazine reviews.
They gave top marks to the Skil 1820. It was rated as easiest to use and best ergonomics. I found one on eBay and bought for $25.00, including shipping.
Current versions are about $100.00 at the BORGs.
I know they are not designed for constant heavy duty use. But, I figure, even at $100.00 if it lasts five years you can toss and get another.
So far, mine is going strong after more than five years. I think it will outlive me.

Just a thought, if you are going to use a PC jig and PC router bushings are kind of a industry standard, I would kind of lean toward a PC router. I think most brands sell adapters so you can use PC bushing. PC are good routers.

I have over twenty routers, all of them Porter Cable, but old ones from before Dewalt bought them out. I am not familiar with their new offering other than one I bought and did not like, gave it to my brother.

Not sure what I would buy today. Bosch would be on my short list, and I would like to try one of Milwaukees as well.

One thing I do not like, and it just personal preference, are bases with a flat side. Just don't work for me. I do a lot of large work where I have to reach and I don't want to fall off of whatever setup I have as I rotate around the piece. Especially with large bits, you need all the base you can get. Supposedly it is to use as a guide on a straightedge, but if you rotate the router at all you are off, so I don't see that as an advantage either.

Thanks again for the help. I am, like Larry, leaning toward the Bosch. Lowes has a 2 1/4 hp with both bases on sale for 179.00. Seems to be a nice kit but it does need the adapter to use the PC bushings. I really like the PC's but no one around here stocks anything but the basic router. The Bosch has the variable speed plus both bases. I need it for the weekend so I dont have time to order one online. Thanks.

hey sayer, nice to see another NY'er on the board.
ya going to the wood show in Saratoga springs the 26th or 27th?
you might find yourself a good deal on a router, if you know the prices.

I probably use a router less than one tenth as often as my brother Glenn that posted above. However, I do know tools very well and know the people at the local authorized service center for PC, Bosch, Milwaukee, Makita.

Based up that, I would not touch a current PC router except maybe a 7518 since Stanley Black & Decker seems to have only cut a few corners on that model on things like bearings that can be replaced. The latest PC8xx stuff is visably poor in workmanship. I hate to see what the inside looks like if they can't even machine a base straight with the motor accurately vertical or the bit centered in the base! I am not happy about that and have several old PC tools that are excellent quality. If you want PC, consider one that isn't made recently.

I have both Milwaukee (5615 & 5616) and Bosch (1617) routers and like them both. The Milwaukee hand grip is neat for one handed use with the fixed base and the Bosch plunge base seems a bit nicer than the Milwaukee plunge base. That is being really picky and both are great.

I've got a Milwaukee 5615 and Hitachi M12VC that are both great for dovetails. Both accept the standard PC bushings, both offer a combo kit with plunge and fixed bases....you can use either. I'm especially fond of the Hitachi for that task because it's very light and very quiet. Go with whichever model feels good in your hands.

Well I pulled the trigger and bought the Bosch. Have not used it yet but will give it a go over the weekend. Allen, I went to the Wood Show in Sommerset NJ last week, it was a great show. Thats where I bought the PC Dovetail jig..Thanks all

I was going to add get a D handle router.

The trigger is easy to use when swapping parts around.

on the flip side, its kinda nice to leave the router setup for dovetails so you're not changing the height, or having to remove/replace the collar.