Why do they make band-aids...

Bill Satko

...so that you can't open them even with two good hands and/or ten good fingers???? Eliminate one of those hands or some number of fingers because you managed to cut them while ....(too numerous to name, insert your own) and you have mission impossible. Normally I have my hand, finger, whatever clamped in a rag to keep from bleeding on the work and if I manage to get the first aid box open the real comedy starts as I begin dancing around the shop trying to open a paper encased band-aid.

Can't they make the tabs on them large enough for normal fingers? I mean think about it, are they trying to make it childproof? What good is the band-aid, if you can't get it open?

Last edited:
Been sharpening the planes again Bill?

What I hate is that once you do get it open, I usually drop it 'clean side' down...

I agree with above about the paper towels and and tape. My wife buys the nice blue shop towels by the dozen(love her for that) but then I don't let her have them. She would clean with them and they can get expensive if used like that. But anyway, I will wrap a gash with one and tape with whatever is handy til I can get to the SWMBO to clean it up. Even though I keep a stocked first aid kit in the garage. I never use it.

Matt

Bill, I totally agree with you, and how about this one.....the medicine bottle that's ridiculously hard to open on a good day, and impossible when you're not feeling well......I've opened more than one with a hammer!

I am not the most patient person in the world and when you combine that with a migraine, a hammer seems like a very reasonable response, but the excessive number of strokes is my character flaw showing.

What happened to the days when there was a little red string you could pull and cut the paper open to get the band aid out????????????

I've found on most of my cuts, it's just as easy to put a few drops of CA in the cut... burns like the dickens... but usually stops the bleeding and seals the cut.

Bill this has post has got be little mental telepathy or you been spying on me:D
Just the other day I stopped in at the pharmacy to get some more bits and lives for my shop first aid kit. While there I bought some liquid band aid to try out. I had the exact same discussion with the pharmacist about band aids. It took some doing to convince her of the issue.
I found I needed more stock after all the sharpening:rofl::rofl:

The "Band-aid" brand ones are good here, easy to get out and apply. The cheap made in China ones are as you describe, I guess you get what you pay for :dunno: