Oak Burl

I was beginning to wonder when I first started turning this thing as there was a lot of creaky, cracky sounds as I was turning the outside. So decided duct tape was in order especially with the one piece being a little loose even with some CA. I turned it a little thicker than I like at 1/4" but it did turn out nicely. Turned a little southwest style with this one. This one will go in my display case never to be sold. It is 8 1/4" across and 4" high. It has one coat of AO on it with 2 or 3 more to come. Probably no buffing on this one. This was a fun piece to turn but there was some pucker factor involved.:rofl:

Attachments

• Oak Burl 1.jpg
    Oak Burl 1.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 55
  • Oak Burl 2.jpg
    Oak Burl 2.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 49
  • Oak Burl 7.jpg
    Oak Burl 7.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 59
  • Oak Burl 8.jpg
    Oak Burl 8.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 55
  • Oak Burl 5.jpg
    Oak Burl 5.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 56
That's a beauty Bernie! I just love gnarly hunks of wood like that.

When I looked at the first pic I thought maybe you gone all "modern" on us with that duct tape finish. :D;)

Bernie there the kind of pieces i really like, and you for shore did it right.:thumb::thumb: I've never used duct tape but have used blue painters tape and saran wrap.

you keep your finner crossed and yu to might get a piece similair.. got warmer weather ahead so i can get to it steve:):thumb:

nice looking burl bernie,, must tbe the gray area was a flat that nature put there?

Beautifull piece there Bernie ole boy,love those pieces.If ya don't mind,I'll give ya a lttle tip.Fella I know in Fl does a lot of work like that,an he's GOOD,anyway he told me that he completly finished the outside,waxing ,buffing,the whole nine yards,then he wraps the piece in that clear wrapping tape that you can get anywhere,pretty cheap and doesn't leave any residue on the piece at all.Then he turns the inside to finish.I've done several using that tecnique and it works pretty good,ain't never lost any( YET) :D Just thought I would offer that little tip as I sure ain't takin nothin away from this piece. :)

Thanks for the kind comments. Yep this one was fun and throw in a little pucker factor to boot. When my wife saw this one she claimed it and in the same breath told me don't even try to sell it.:eek::rofl: Guess it won't be sold. The wood came from a good friend of ours in New York. She is a pretty good turner in her own right. I sent her a piece of walnut and she sent me this.