Tiny Vix bits? AKA - How do you install tiny hinges . . .

Jim Mattheiss

Hello:

I'm setting up the hinges on my current entry in the box swap. If things go bad I have enough time to build another . . . .

I'm using some very nice Brusso JB-101 Hinges that I have on hand. The issue I'm having is getting the screws to line up in the center of the "Bore". I get one set and the second doesn't go where I want it - twisting the hinge.

Any tips? I'm currently waiting for the glue holding the toothpicks I filled the mis-aligned holes with to dry before I try again.

Do they make TINY Vix bits or is there a better way?

No pics - till the swap . . . .

Cheers

Jim

jim i had a similiar problem, i used a 1/16 bit for the pilot hole and alitt bigger for the main area i used a round point scratch awl to postion the holes.. and yur right they like to move around..not sayun this is the best way but it got it done for me..but we know that OSB is tuff to drill striaght:)

I just take a bradpoint bit that fits the through hole (7/64" for example) and spin it backwards with my fingers. This self-centers the bit in the hole and the center spur marks the place to drll.

I just take a bradpoint bit that fits the through hole (7/64" for example) and spin it backwards with my fingers. This self-centers the bit in the hole and the center spur marks the place to drll.

Brilliant! Simple solution and doesn't require any new tools... :thumb:

I use Vix bits. They are fast and accurate, but you must be very gentle with the small sizes that you are talking about. I you push them at all sideways while the bit is extended the drill bit will snap. Not really a problem, but it took me a couple of bits to figure it out. They are easily replaceable.