First Day at the New Job

Vaughn McMillan

Administrator
Staff member
After 2 years and 2 weeks of being unemployed, I started a part-time job working with my neighbor the art installer today. I've worked with him on a couple of one-day jobs, but his helper quit, so I'm the new helper (until something better comes along). My neighbor has built up a good clientele, and he works for some pretty major players. The job itself is pretty much a no-brainer...hanging pictures and mirrors. (Well, that and a surfboard we're hanging at the Fox studios later this week.) I'm also the official driver, freeing up the boss to do computer work in the passenger seat of the truck as we drive around town. The truck is nice (extended cab Toyota Tundra with a shell and all the bells and whistles), but driving it in LA traffic will be a bit of a challenge.

We did three installations today...we hung a single picture at one house, went to an insurance office and hung two more, then went to a law firm and hung 40 or so pieces. The house we went to was in Bel Air (one of the more affluent neighborhoods in LA), and the boss warned me that the parking might be tight, since there is usually an assortment of people working at the house. (Like the floral guys...apparently the owners go through about $1000 worth of fresh flower arrangements every week.) Anyway, today the driveway wasn't too packed, and the BMW M5 wasn't in the way, but we did have to get them to move the Porsche Carrera and the Ferrari back into the garage in order for me to have room to turn the truck around. Must be nice. :rolleyes:

You know how it is, you get work when you are working, so I really hope that this is the beginning for you!

You should get some t-shirts printed up with some of your wonderful art on them, and your business name etc, never know, some art hanging client might be interested :D

Congrats!

Congrats Vaughn! Money coming in deserves a big Woo Hoo! :thumb:

(You didn't say whether you had actually seen any money yet, but I'm gonna give your "boss" the benefit of the doubt when it comes to payday. :rolleyes:)

I forget sometimes how specialized things/jobs can be in the city. Would have never imagined that one could make a living hanging pictures....

Very cool, glad you have something to do. I have been out of work for about a month, and my old shop is torn down, the new one not set up, so I am going nuts here.....

I have work as soon as weather breaks, come on spring!

The other Larry

Vaughn, that is really wonderful news. Enjoy the views and the exposure to new experiences. And this is the sort of opening that can lead anywhere. Best wishes.

If nothing else, I bet you will be getting a lot of interesting stories out of these jobs! Glad to see you'll be keeping out of trouble! :thumb:

Congrats Vaughn. I am really happy for you.

I am sure you will get to go to some interesting places and meet interesting people. It just might open up some new doors for you.

Way to go Vaughn, you just made my day.:):thumb:;) I echo what the rest have been saying and i think Stu's idea is really clever and innovative. Well worth the cost of a couple of T Shirts.

Way to go. Good for your new boss.:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Congrats, Vaughn. As Stu wisely pointed out things lead to things. If yer boss allows mebbe you can promote your turnings to those folks who drive Porches and such. ;)
"art installer" sounds ritzy. Around here they would be called 'handy man' and work for cheap.
Seriously, some folks need help with certain chores. We are saving pennies for a new TV. Current one is very heavy, I had trouble lifting it onto the table seven years ago. Now with more age and bad shoulders I am no way, no how going to try again. Will probably have to hire someone to move it. And I'm the one who could use extra income. :eek: That's life.