Incra Positioner

Ron Roase

I saw the Incra Positioner about 10 Years ago at a Woodworking shows and thought is was something I could not live with out! After several weeks of frustration , I finally just set it up on my Table saw for ripping. Very accurate and used it for several years in that manner. It would only allow a 16" rip so eventually It got replaced with a good after market Fence. It then sat idle for a few more years then I got it out and made some wooden hinges. SO So results with that but way to much time involved. Then decided to give Mark at Incra a call and see if they had a DVD that would show a dummy how to work with this piece of equipment. He sent one out and I again started trying to make use of this piece of junk. After a couple more weeks and an enormouse amount of sawdust and Little pieces cut off to retry again. Also E-mails and phone calls To Incra was not doing it for me. I watch the demos and everything always comes out perfect. Wonder if any of you have been involved with this Incra positioner. I normally can make most any thing I do turn out well, But this has me stumped.:huh::(:dunno:

Last edited by a moderator:
I've used mine to make a number of things, from the hinges, and business card holders to box-joints. I've been pretty happy with it for those items.

I do have to admit that I never have used it to make dovetails, but then that in itself isn't all that unusual, since I haven't ever really been very successful at making dovetails. But I haven't really put that much time or effort into getting it to work right for those.

what does this thing look like guys?

Hard to tell, since the term is inexact, but I'm guessing it's this:

http://www.google.com/products/cata...=X&ei=CMBuTfeyG4OKlwfA062LAQ&ved=0CD4Q8wIwAw#

XyqMw11BmAPilEJ3Fc8EUo5VCker96RmEH2Xi0TYChws-mTJl43EbVMou3446044Z8R_vLzMQUxHGrKbjqokBoPAUA9rdT_YLVNilh3bxaRGS0s46GenY-HYC7icVxbenrN1QECGBQuFDKJ5c0SkQ5sDq4o

If so, the thing is a wonder of beauty and precision, but it can be very frustrating if you try to do things the way you're used to doing them. It's one of those cases where you need to work *with* the tool, rather than getting the tool to do what you want... ;)

I wouldn't use anything else now, but when I first got one, there was a ton of headscratching involved. Eventually, I had to remember the old California Mantra:

Cheerdance-cheerleader-cheerleading-smiley-emoticon-000481-large.gif
"Hey! Ho! Go with the Flow!"
Cheerdance-cheerleader-cheerleading-smiley-emoticon-000481-large.gif

Thanks,

Bill

Last edited:
I will say this .... That the people at Incra are awsume! They are the most helpfull group you could ever come across. I have gotten some very good info.
from them. It has helped me a lot. Maybe I should just stick with it a bit longer. I just get kind of frustraited at times. Will see if I can just get a better mind set.:D:thumb:

I got hooked on one at the Woodworking Shows too. The 25" unit. Although I waited until I saw it on sale at Eagle America I think, and saved about 100 bucks over the show price. I have played "at" dovetails with some 1/4" MDF and a 5.00 Woodcraft dovetail bit just enough to see that it could be done, although mine weren't perfect. I do have an Infinity set for it now, but haven't used it yet. Waiting for the time and money to start a project where I need to learn it well. Other than that, it makes for a great normal fence for the RT. Jim.

thanks bill for the info!!! that looks like what vaughn uses.. on his table saw..

Yep, except mine is mounted on rails, so I can use it as a table saw fence, or slide it over to the left side of the saw and use it on the router table extension wing. Like Bill said, it takes some re-learning, but now that I've used one, I wouldn't want any other fence system on a tablesaw. :thumb: I've not done any of the fancy dovetails, but I can make perfect box joints (on the router or tablesaw) without a separate jig.

Yep, except mine is mounted on rails, so I can use it as a table saw fence, or slide it over to the left side of the saw and use it on the router table extension wing.

Yep. And then, when you attach the wonder fence to it, you can make pretty much anything!

http://www.woodpeck.com/wfjoinery.html

wfj.jpg

It's a truly beautiful thing. And it proves the old adage is inversely true: It ain't the Indian, it's the arrows... ;)

Thanks,

Bill