Saw Some Big Iron Today

Vaughn McMillan

Administrator
Staff member
Jerry Soloman is a large art framing shop in West Hollywood, and we had to go there today to pick up a 4' x 5' framed photo before installing it in Beverly Hills. They frame all sorts of things in all sorts of styles, and apparently no frame is too large for them. (I saw some in the 12' range.)

Anyway, while waiting around for them to find the piece we were picking up, I commented to one of the shop managers that I admired the 24" Mini Max bandsaw I saw off in the distance in the shop. He said "Oh, you like big machines? You should see what we have out back in the yard". Turns out a little later we were following him to another building, so we took a detour to see the boneyard. I didn't want to go too crazy with the cell phone camera, so I only took one shot, but thought you might enjoy seeing the backside a 16" Yates American jointer and a 24" disk sander (didn't see the make of it).

attachment.php

The rust on the beds is superficial...Irving (the manager) said something about making them less desirable to steal, but I think he was joking around. He agreed when I said it looked like nothing a couple hours and a can of WD-40 and some steel wool couldn't fix. I told him it was a good thing I didn't have the room in my shop, or else I'd have to come see if the liftgate on my pickup could handle the jointer. He laughed and said when they moved it out there with the forklift, they had to be careful not to hit any bumps or else the back wheels would come off the ground.

The green machine behind the disk sander looked like some sort of a twin motor miter chopsaw. The motor spindles and blades are at 90º to each other. I didn't get a chance to study it much, but next time I'm there I'll try to get some better pics of it.

Attachments

• Big Jointer at Jerry Soloman 800.jpg
    Big Jointer at Jerry Soloman 800.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 125
droool...

I don't need it, would probably never use it, yet I feel it needs to be rescued.

LOL

I don't need it, don't have room for it, don't have 3 phase power (which I'm assuming it wants to have), and would rarely use it. But yes, I feel the same way about the rescue. :eek: Just as a point of curiosity, next time I see him I might ask Irving if they intend to get rid of it or the disk sander.

And Cynthia, you're right about the woodworking connections with this job. This afternoon I offered advice to a lady with whose antique buffet has a small piece broken off the corner. Told her how she could fix it, and gave her a card in case she wants help fixing it. ;)

I've been on the prowl for one of those 20" disks. I let one go for $450 before I realized that was a decent price. Next time.

I had to let my 12"Porter jointer go when I sold my old shop, took up too much space. Now I'm looking for another one:rolleyes: The one I had was flat belt drive though, so it took up a lot of space with the motor bolted to the floor, and it had babbit bearings.

I like that one, nice direct drive unit.

Hey it sounds like you may have stumbled into something that will set you up long term. Be patient, and make sure you end your current employment on good terms. I hope you find a niche that will let you do what you want, and I hope that what you want is what you need.

Happy for you.

The other Larry

Drool.

Well, I need it and I have space for it. Hey, if they want to sell the disk sander at a reasonable price and if you don't want it then let me know. Well, I just thought about 3 phase. If it is 3-phase then it won't work.

From the color shown, I'll guess it is a Grizzly. ;)
I had to do a double take on that frame size. At first blush I though it was 4x5 INCHES. Nopers, it is 4X5 FEET!!! I'll bet that was one costly frame.