safety issues again, but Ill post again, its that important

allen levine

Again today I couldnt bring myself to work on the bed, so I decided to stain the tool box and then work on cleaning up some of the mess in my shed and my yard from all the crap I brought home from my old store and decided today I start tossing or using it.
A few metal shelves I had laying around since oct, I decided to mount above the garage door and just store my cooler and other things I only use a few times a year.
While mounting them, a tough spot, on the next to top step of the ladder, I put a shelf into the standards, and put the steel level on the shelf to see if I had it level before I secured it all.
It needed a tiny tap on one side, and I did it, but the level fell and caught my right eye, smashed into my working glasses, which saved my eye for sure, and then just ripped the glasses off my face along with breaking the chain I keep around my neck so my glasses dont fall.
The glasses are ok, they landed on the sawstop.
My eyes are ok, but never underestimate the value of a pair of safety glasses no matter what simple task you are doing.

Good reminder.

In organizing my shop today, I found that I must have 20 pairs of safety glasses... probably half of them still in the factory wrappers...

At my weight,and physical problems, Im not supposed to be anywhere near or on a ladder.
It just sucks being fat. It sucks alot more being fat and old.
My wife reminds me everyday I can avoid one of them. But I told her Im not jumping off a bridge.

I always wear them in the shop, as well as safety shoes since one day I was wearing sandals and I almost stabbed my toe with a very sharp skew chisel I dropped. Besides their steel toes are quite handy for putting uner heavy board when moving them around.:)

Thats one thing I cant find comfortable enough with my orthotics, a comfortable steel toed shoe. I tried some, just couldnt move around well.
And Ive dropped my fair share of boards on my toes.

I can't understand the need for steel toed shoes in a workshop. A good pair of leather boots will accomplish the same thing. As far as safety glasses go my regular prescription glasses are safety glasses. If I want to be able to see anything I'm doing I need to be wearing them.

I always wear steel-toed boots in the shop. I'm frequently resting sheets of plywood on my foot, and I appreciate being able to do that. I'm also dropping things regularly (as some of you already know :rolleyes: ), and I also feel more stable in them. The last thing I want is to stub my toe and fall head first into some piece of equipment......In fact, wearing steel toed boots is one of the best pieces of advice I got in the beginning......I'd recommend it for all beginners, and for people who aren't extremely strong and want to rest things on their feet occasionally. ;). Alan B., maybe with so much experience you don't feel the need for them, but I feel a lot safer in them.

In fact, as soon as I lace up my boots, my dog goes and waits by the shop door. :) :thumb: