Noob update

Can't begin to describe the fun I'm having figuring out this spin stuff :D
First thanks to you all for the comments/help on sharpening with a belt sander...
I slapped together a jig for guidance, designed from the variety found on u-tube, sure helps steady these old hands{lol}

Here's where I'm learning{albeit slowly} not sure if this will remain the set up, but it will do for now...

Today I decided to lose the plastic handles on a Stanley plane and made some from some maple I had laying around. Here's a shot of the front handle, it's not much, but I'm happy as a noob can be...

And as par for the course, I had more trouble centering the bolt hole than the turning, guess the trick is to drill before spinning :eek: oh yeah, and add jointing before gluing up...glue lines. Grrr....:eek:

Anyways....just a little update on my journey

Signed: free floating in the vortex, "look at all the purty colors" :rolleyes::D

The vortex is pulling hard on this one, Obi-Wan. :D

vortex_of_copenhagen.jpg

You're on your way, Ken. :thumb: The plane know looks good for a first stab at it. And you're right...it's easier to center the piece on the hole than it is to center the hole on the piece. ;)

I'll offer advice another Ken (Fitzgerald) is known to give: Empty all the bills from your wallet, lay them out nice and neat on the table, and take a photo. That's probably the most spare money you'll have for quite a while, so you might as well get a snapshot to help remember what it looks like. :rofl:

Great start.
BTW that 1" belt sander is sold under about 40 brand names. :rolleyes:
I have the Grizzly version. You can remove the platen by just loosening the screws that hold it in. Then the belt flexes to conform to the curve of chisles and/or whatever else you want to sharpen.
Mine is the first tool I ever bought from Grizzly and that was some 20 years ago. It is surprisingly handy and a top 'go to' tool in my shop. Too handy maybe as I keep putting off investing in a really good disc sander. :eek:

Ken,
One word of caution on sharpening tools on the belt sander... when you get the skew good and sharp, watch how you address the belt with it... I've cut about 3 or 4 perfectly good belts off the sander with my skew by lifting the handle a bit and dragging the edge across the belt... it's a shock when that belt come off and slaps you around the head and shoulders.... :eek: :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Ken thats a good start to the spinny stuff but keep it at that, now go use that plane with the new tote and knob.:thumb: Stay away from that swirling water. Lathes have their use as you have just found out. :) But getting caught in the vortex is a dangerous affair. Look at the numbers here that have gone over the edge.:rofl:

Thanks guys, and for the platen tip Frank, never occurred to me to remove it.
and...just a tad to late Chuck with your tip, slashed my first belt on the first attempt :doh: :eek::D

...and to those words of warning{lol} swimming against the current is tougher than it looks...I may regret throwing in the life preservers when I sold my boat :rofl:

Edit: btw, that sander is a 'Reliant' made in Taiwan...works well for the price and my level of use!

Last edited:
Can't begin to describe the fun I'm having figuring out this spin stuff :D

[...]

Today I decided to lose the plastic handles on a Stanley plane and made some from some maple I had laying around. [...] I'm happy as a noob can be...

[...]

I had more trouble centering the bolt hole than the turning, guess the trick is to drill before spinning :eek:

That looks like a fine "spinny corner". :thumb:

Nice job on the little jig to help with sharpening, too. :yes:

I can still remember the sense of wonder, the first few times I was able to
"spin" a chunk of wood and make something useful out of it. :bliss:

Once you get a chuck (or figure out glue blocks) and a Jacob's chuck for the tailstock, you can do the drilling right on the lathe, and part off the finished piece.

More good times to come! :headbang: