Mystery BOX

Sleigh Bells Ring Are You Reading?

Late this afternoon (Wednesday) the doorbell went Ding Dong. Lo and behold, when I opened the door there was a present there. There was no Santa and no sleigh---however, the postal lady and her Jeep mail carrier were just leaving. With great delight I started to take the present inside---then, in my head, I heard the uglies, “No pics; it didn’t happen.” In spite of what you read below---Glenn did contact Larry and let him know that the package did arrive safely---And why not, it was packed with Larry's, "If in doubt, build it stout."

PICTURES 1 AND 2

So I went into the house, got the camera, came back out and took a pic. Curiosity killed the cat, but I wanted to know what this thing weighed. I took it upstairs to the hall bathroom and weighed it. That was fine. However, have you ever tried to take a picture of a package on scales where the display times out after a bit with a camera whose view screen times out after a bit? Getting both displays on at once, getting the desired view, getting focus, snapping picture while everything is in control is not so fine.

After that study in the Laurel and Hardy technique of photography the package went into the garage. In the garage I proceeded to semi-clear my workbench. Man I was getting anxious to see what I got---sort of like the closer to home you get the more desperate you are to pee. Well Myrna the LOML called me to dinner. She says, “No it won’t wait.”

After a very fast meal, it’s back to the garage where more pics were taken while the exotic wrapping was removed using a square drive screwdriver. Those screws must be McFeeley square drive. I mean, put the drive in the screw and the screw grabs it and holds on not sloppy like most screws.

PICTURE 3
PICTURE 4

Finally---The first view inside the box. What do you know---wood! The wood is packed in the box like pieces of a Chinese puzzle; everything fit together. Each piece of wood was cut to fit in an exact spot. There were also some items in bubble wrap. The thickness of the bubble wrap, taped tightly to the contents made it fit snugly into its spot.

PICTURE 5 is the first view inside the box.

PICTURE 6 is the contents except for one thing (as they say, “More on this later.”).

Larry made a napkin holder out of Chocolate for Myrna. That wood is gorgeous. I don’t seem to have enough talent to get a picture to do it justice.

PICTURE 7

PICTURE 8 is the bottom of the napkin holder.

Now we are back to the, “More on this later.” thing. As most of you know Toni Ciuraneta made a wooden plane for me. Larry was going to make a plane for me. However, since Toni C beat him to the punch Larry felt something different was needed. So he ordered a metal plane just right for me. Knowing that I am a small guy he ordered a size that would fit my hand. Picture 9 is the plane. I set it on the napkin holder to give you a size reference.

My computer is in the “Iffy” mode. I will see how well I can do getting this to you. Greg, my other son, is bringing me an extra computer that he has. That’s great because this one is old by computer standards---March of 2004---and does not like a lot of the new programming.

Anyway, a great big THANKS!!! to Larry.

Enjoy,

Jim

I could not get my computer to work on the web Wednesday night even though I stayed up way past bedtime. Today, Thursday San Diego Gas and Electric had the power off in our entire neighborhood while they installed new electric wiring. It is now after 4:00 pm and the power is back on and you had to read this whole thing to find out where the mystery package went.

Last edited:
All right Jim:D that's quite the goodie box:thumb: Check with Larry but I think the chocolate napkin holder might be ironwood:huh: but I could be wrong:p None the less SWEET PACKAGE:D

well i found out that the power was out for the ole guy over in CA so we let him off for the delay in posting,, i think he forgot to pay last months bill:) but he went and paid it up so he could show us what it was:) well jim glad you liked it its from some very old wood that stood the test of time like your self. enjoy and every time you set down to the table you will be setting with a little bit of me as well ...now how is that for dietary plan:D:rofl:

Well, I can only say that those wood pieces are gorgeus, the napking holder stunning and the little plane a joy.

I wonder what is in you Jim that people feel compelled to give things to you;):thumb:

it its from some very old wood that stood the test of time like your self. enjoy and every time you set down to the table you will be setting with a little bit of me as well ...now how is that for dietary plan:D:rofl:

My diet used to be, If it is edible, eat it, and eat lots of it. Eleven years ago they finally discovered that I am a celiac (gluten intolerant). That is why I became such a scrawny little thing. Anyway, ever since discovering that I am gluten intolerant, my diet has become, "You can't eat that. No you can't have that either. And, Don't even think about it." And that is why I am such a scrawny little thing now.

I said it earlier and I will say it again, Thanks for the suspense and thanks for the box Larry. Oh yes, Thanks for the wonderful contents also. Oh yes #2, Myrna loved the Jim sized plane.

Enjoy,

Jim

I'm just getting caught up on this...glad to see the mystery is solved. :thumb: Couldn't have happened to a nicer guy, and couldn't have been instigated by a nicer guy. :D

Larry, that's gorgeous work on the napkin holder, but c'mon, man, you got lax on the box you made. I can tell by the split OSB edges in photo #5 that you didn't pre-drill your screw holes. And you call yourself a woodworker. :rolleyes: :rofl: (But I'll bet that box would hold up as a jack stand for working on your truck.)