I felt like I was Stu (for a while)

Jeff Horton

I felt just like Stu for a while yesterday. :D I had this great idea only it wasn't so great. Sort of was a bad idea actually. Then I didn't feel like Stu any more.

Looking at the Mortisers and just not happy with spending $300 to get a good one. Keep looking a the drill presses thinking/wishing/hoping I could just dedicate one of them. Looked at the Delta and was thinking about just buying a x-y vice for it and a mortising attachment. But I was concerned about the table moving under a load. Then I looked at the base and thought " I can attach the vice to the base! Get rid of the table and just lower the head down the column" Genius idea and dirt cheap. If it doesn't work out I just put the Drill Press back together.

Of course, after a while I saw some flaws in my plan. 2" of travel on the spindle. No good way to raise the head for taller pieces, ....Then I felt kind of STUpid. :rofl:

It felt nice to be Stu for a few minutes anyway, :thumb:

Jeff;)

Last edited:
Jeff,

However...if you had a Steel City DP, with 6" of quill travel, you could have increased your "Genius" level a few inches...and maybe gotten 15 minutes of being "Stu"...:eek:

:rofl::rofl:

HEY............. I resemble those remarks :rolleyes: :D

Man, the number of ideas like that I've had, but thankfully I've learned to let the ideas percolate on the back burner a day or three, just to let them work out a bit, 99% of the time I too say "Well that was a STU-pid idea!" :rofl:

The DP mortisers SUCK large, I'd spend the $300 if you were going to do a lot of them, otherwise, just drill them, and break out the chisels! :wave:

:rofl: :rofl: I can't say stupid without thinking STU_pid now. You ruined me.

Been looking some more and I am leaning toward the General mortiser. Problem is the price. I can sure chisel out a lot of mortises for $300+. I could build me a nice drill press table and fence that would be used for lots of things and have money in my pocket. Probably have money left to be buy a nice shoulder plane too..... May have just talked myself out of one.

Jeff

pr5001561.jpg

right-tool_1937_180735758

Multipurpose

I have looked at the Steel City. The thing with it is it has the same hold down as all the others. From a review I read all of the mortisers tested had the same problem. Poor hold downs, other wise they all worked about about the same.

I read somewhere about modifying them and adding a x-y vice and the comments are that it makes a dramatic difference in the mortisers. At this point I am just looking. But I do have a lead on a used one with a vice. But I am in no hurry. Just looking to future. I may be building a dinning room suit with. are you ready? 10 chairs! That justifies a mortiser even to a frugal person like me.