Cherry Vase & Pyrography

I just finished a cherry vase with a cardinal burned into it. It was from a order and I think the lady is from Ohio in town visiting relatives. She also wants a platter with a meadowlark on it for her husband who is from Kansas. She wants this one colored so that is going to be a little more difficult. This one is 9" across and 3 1/2" high. It is finished with rattle can lacquer.

Well off to the shop to start the platter.

Attachments

• Cherry Bowl with Pyrography 4.jpg
    Cherry Bowl with Pyrography 4.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 50
  • Cherry Bowl with Pyrography 5.jpg
    Cherry Bowl with Pyrography 5.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 35
  • Cherry Bowl with Pyrography 6.jpg
    Cherry Bowl with Pyrography 6.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 31
  • Cherry Bowl with Pyrography 7.jpg
    Cherry Bowl with Pyrography 7.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 32
Looks great, Bernie. You're sure picking up this pyrography stuff quickly. :thumb: We're gonna have to change your name to Burny if you keep this up. :p

Thank you all for the kind comments. Believe it or not Vaughn some people spell my name Burney.:rofl: Oh well yes I am having fun with this. I have sold six turnings so far and have paid for the burner. The platter I am working on will pay for the pens.

Wow Bernie! That looks great. Are you laying a pattern down first or are you doing it all freehand? Either way you have a very steady hand.
Very nice!

Tom I use saral paper to lay down the outline of the bird. The rest is freehand.

That's really nice, Burn-man. I'm curious, did you know of your artistic talents before taking up burning?

Cynthia I did not know. I did buy a DVD by Sue Walters and studied it but it just seem to come easy. I had a bunch of small thin wood pieces laying around so also did a lot of practice. I will say this, it does take a lot of patience.

Bernie, that is really nice and the burning really add to the piece. May I ask which DVD you purchased? She has a couple and I'm not sure which would be best for a beginner. Her instruction booklets look pretty nice, ever purchased one?