Shaker Secretary/Computer Cabinet

Here is a design that I came up for our iMac patterned after a classic Shaker secretary. I don't get as much time in the shop as I used to, so this has been a long time in coming. I still need to shoot it with some pre-cat lacquer, but for now the BLO will have to do the trick. Just too cold in Michigan right now!!!

I made sure to cut all the door pieces from the same board so that the grain would match, not only on the panels, but on the styles and rails as well. I had to come up with a good code to keep all the pieces straight before gluing them up!

I cut the dovetails so that I could get the thinnest of pins. For some reason, that's my favorite look and what I'm used to cutting.

Some of the supplied screws were too long so I had to use my own. They were too shinny, so I used liquid gun blue to give them a nice antique look - a lot nicer looking than spraying them black. Makes for a nice trick.

That should about cover the bases. All the hardware came from either Whitechapel or Horton Brass.

I have a ton of construction pics at my blog. Feel free to check them out under the new work.

Thanks for looking!

Attachments

• Shaker-Secratary-1.jpg
    Shaker-Secratary-1.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 72
  • Shaker-Secratary-2.jpg
    Shaker-Secratary-2.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 69
  • Shaker-Secratary-3.jpg
    Shaker-Secratary-3.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 72
  • Shaker-Secratary-4.jpg
    Shaker-Secratary-4.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 66
  • Shaker-Secratary-5.jpg
    Shaker-Secratary-5.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 60
  • Shaker-Secratary-6.jpg
    Shaker-Secratary-6.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 55
  • Shaker-Secratary-7.jpg
    Shaker-Secratary-7.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 54
Really like it and the rest of your work on your website! I also checked out your tall cabinet in Fine Woodworking's Readers Gallery (Feb 2006).

Jason, as I've said before, your stuff really appeals to me. It's exquisite. You have both extraordinary skills and taste. I have to say that between LOML and I and 2 bulldogs, a delicate piece like that wouldn't last 5 minutes in my house, but it belongs more in a museum anyway. :thumb: :bow: I hope sometime you'll bring your crew up to Vancouver Island, and I'll trade a quilt for lessons :D.

I always get a little excited when I see you've posted pics of a new build. This time was no exception. Great piece, Jason. You're developing a signature style for sure.

When did you end up in Michigan? No more California?

another exceptional job jason,,:thumb::thumb::thumb:

and vaughn it was kept under wraps till the contracts were all signed so that you CA guys wouldnt try to out bid us:) he originated from our parts and we wanted him back:)

I always get a little excited when I see you've posted pics of a new build. This time was no exception. Great piece, Jason. You're developing a signature style for sure.

When did you end up in Michigan? No more California?

I feel the same way when I see you post a new build, and rightfully so, that is another fantastic piece Jason, love every aspect of it:thumb::thumb::thumb: OH an welcome BACK to Michigan:thumb::D you are only around 45 mins from Larry and me:D

Wow, I'm both flatted and humbled. Thanks for the encouragement!

This is essentially the first and last project from our current home. We're actually moving (insert a somewhat exhausted "again") right now. I'm on a quick coffee break. Thankfully we're only moving a few miles away. So the shop is getting packed yet again! We're very blessed though. I just need to remind myself of that every now and then.

So this is essentially the only project I've built in the last year since it's been incredibly busy at the new church. But now that I've got this piece done, the juices are flowing and the new house is going to need a number of new pieces.

Allen: Thanks for encouraging me to get back on FWW! I can't keep up with you though. What, you've finished 13 projects in the time that I built this one piece! You're a monster! Okay, it might also be that I'm slow and getting slower ;)

Vaughn: Right now it's beautiful outside (40ish :eek: ) , but yesterday I was really wishing I was back in the Central Valley. I have spring fever bad! And yes, I know. It's wrong that I think 40ish is beautiful!

Bob: I originally had the legs splay on the font and the sides, but it looks too much like a saw-horse. So I recut the front aprons so that it only splays on the side. I think it would have been even better to splay only the front legs. Nevertheless, I was after stability and it is certainly that.

Tom: Yea, we'll have to have a get together at some point. I'll make you guys some "Tri-Tip" on the BBQ. Vaughn, tell them how good Tri-Tip is! It's one of the flavors of CA that we brought back with us.

Everyone: Thanks again for the kind words.

Boxes: Yes, I coming!!!

Thanks for not telling vaughn what we had to do to get yu back here:) he is now working with the rich and famous and could have out bid us:) threw his contacts:) how doe that hardware hold the lid ,,jason looks like aot of lid for two pieces of hardware???