Almost a nightmare.....

michael james

Came home after work and when I let the hounds in, I noticed the back wall was down...... :eek: Unbelievable - the dogs stayed and didn't get hurt. Whew. 2 very grateful hound lovers here!
Got some block set up and my block guy will be here @ 0800. I'll probably jam some 2x4's to help stabilize enough of the blocks to keep der dogs in until completion. Luckily nary a brick broke.
The hounds are at the puppy motel overnight, and not enjoying that at all!:(
Very high winds today and apparently no rebar in the wall. House built in the 70's.
Michael

btw - the portion of the house you see is the screened in back porch - oh and the storage shed. Lil missie was trying to convince me to set up the lathe in there last yr.... silly girl :rofl:

Attachments

• wall down1.jpg
    wall down1.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 70
  • wall down 2.jpg
    wall down 2.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 68
Well, on the bright side, you have easy access to the arroyo. :D Glad to see the pooches were unscathed and didn't escape.

(One of those back yards across the wash from you belongs to my former in-laws.) :p

cant imagine winds strong enough to blow down a brick wall,,, here i thought the three little pigs were safe???? glad there isnt any more damage and that your dogs are safe.

Bummer, glad everyone is ok. Hopefully they'll put that back together with a little reinforcement in it. Does the wall also serve as a flash flood barrier with that wash behind you?

Now you need Mike Holmes to come in with his crew and tell you what was wrong with your fence... for CAD$25 to 50K he'll rebuild it in 30-45 minutes like it never happened.. :rofl::rofl:

Seriously, glad no one or none of the dogs were hurt... you must have some well trained and well behaved dogs to have stayed in the yard after that... looks like a street behind the fence... could have been a real disaster if the pups had ventured out and weren't used to traffic.

Bummer, glad everyone is ok. Hopefully they'll put that back together with a little reinforcement in it. Does the wall also serve as a flash flood barrier with that wash behind you?

Actually, that "arroyo" is one of the main washes from the mountain. As I kid they were all just sandy ravines. This one was sand for a couple miles west (wyoming Vaughn) and then went into a tunnel that went for miles under ground. So the concrete is a way to control the flow, but some people still get caught in the flood wall when it comes despite all the slogans.

The wall is just a generic block wall, standard for the neighborhood. Lots of rebar and reinforcement going in over the next couple of days. The dogs are going to have to stay locked up until friday. Bummer for the whole pack:(, but again the wall is easily rebuilt, although not cheap no matter how we go, and everyone else is OK.

...As I kid they were all just sandy ravines. This one was sand for a couple miles west (wyoming Vaughn) and then went into a tunnel that went for miles under ground...

Those sandy ravines were main thoroughfares for me when I used to walk around that neighborhood. Used to live near Moon and Snowheights when I was going to Eldorado. I lived in the Sandia district, but got special permission to go to Eldorado. I often walked to school (or walked home after catching a ride in the morning) so the arroyos were the shortest distance between two points. I usually took the northern branch behind Farmer's Market...you live on the southern branch. Also rode bikes up and down the arroyos that had been channelized with concrete. There was a short tunnel at Winrock, and it dumped out in the channel in the middle of I-40 as I recall. The long tunnel in the middle of I-40 started between San Mateo and Carlisle. Rode bikes down that one, too. :D Also spent a LOT of time in the storm drain tunnels that entered the arroyo just west of Eldorado. Doing all sorts of things. :whistling:

Glad everyone is OK.

Reminds me of a funny story. Brent was not home (this is when we lived in a two story house in the bay area). A woman knocked on the door and asked if I knew that there where two dogs on my roof :dunno:

I ran upstairs and sure nuff, our two black labs managed to break through the window screen (3 feet off the floor) and were roaming around the roof. I was grateful I was able to coax them back in without incidence :D