California hit again

Frank Fusco

Millions of dead little fish are clogging the waters at Redondo Beach, CA. The event is freaky and, I know, more than just unpleasant.
This reminds me of a similar incident when I was with the Chicago Tribune in 1966. A miles long stretch of beach in Chicago was, literally, inundated with millions, probably many billions, of dead alewives, a small fish. They piled up on the beaches as much as four feet deep.
I took a shot of one such pile up that won some awards. Wish I had kept that pic.

yup frank i can remember those days my self,, now they are almost gone,, they were brought in to feed the salmon and as par for the course they didnt research the long run to see what was gonna happen from altering a natural eco system.. now we have more troubles...

yup frank i can remember those days my self,, now they are almost gone,, they were brought in to feed the salmon and as par for the course they didnt research the long run to see what was gonna happen from altering a natural eco system.. now we have more troubles...

I found a picture with a Google search that could have been from the Chicago Tribune, and I even may have taken. But, with the talk about copyright infringement, flogging and such I was reluctant to use in the post.

I found a picture with a Google search that could have been from the Chicago Tribune, and I even may have taken. But, with the talk about copyright infringement, flogging and such I was reluctant to use in the post.

You can link to the pic, just can't upload it to our server. ;)

It's easy...just click the little picture icon (looks like a mountain and the moon) and paste the URL where the pic is residing. By doing it that way, we're using their copy, not one we've made for ourselves. :)

l

Like this? ;)
BTW, the pic caption said it could be used for non-commercial purposes.
It is the Chicago waterfront. Many hundreds of pics similar to this one were published over a period of months.
This pic was taken by Lee Balterman in 1967.

Edit: I dunno wassup?? My post doesn't show the URL. But when I go to this edit, thar it is.???

Wow, that's a lot of stink right there. :eek: Must have been fun to photograph, though.

Since we're a non-commercial site, then it's OK for us to host the file per their note. The way you attached that photo, it was uploaded to our server, so now we're hosting it. The other way to show it here without uploading it is to use the Insert Image option in the message editing toolbar when you're posting a message. The icon looks like this:
Insert%20Image%20Icon.jpg
. When you click on it, you'll see a dialog box like this:

Insert%20Image%20Dialog%20Box.jpg

Paste the URL where the picture is located on the Web, click OK, and bingo! Bob's yer uncle. :)

Also, in case you (or anyone else) didn't know, the easy way to get the URL of a photo you see on the web is to right-click on the photo, then select Copy Image Location (or Copy Shortcut, if you're using IE). That stores the URL temporarily in your Clipboard. Then, when you click the icon I showed above to get the dialog box, you can right-click in the text entry area and select Paste. That overwrites the "http://" part that's already there, and puts the whole URL in its place.

Wow, that's a lot of stink right there. :eek: Must have been fun to photograph, though.

Since we're a non-commercial site, then it's OK for us to host the file per their note. The way you attached that photo, it was uploaded to our server, so now we're hosting it. The other way to show it here without uploading it is to use the Insert Image option in the message editing toolbar when you're posting a message. The icon looks like this:
Insert%20Image%20Icon.jpg
. When you click on it, you'll see a dialog box like this:

Insert%20Image%20Dialog%20Box.jpg

Paste the URL where the picture is located on the Web, click OK, and bingo! Bob's yer uncle. :)

Also, in case you (or anyone else) didn't know, the easy way to get the URL of a photo you see on the web is to right-click on the photo, then select Copy Image Location (or Copy Shortcut, if you're using IE). That stores the URL temporarily in your Clipboard. Then, when you click the icon I showed above to get the dialog box, you can right-click in the text entry area and select Paste. That overwrites the "http://" part that's already there, and puts the whole URL in its place.

That's what I did. It came up when I clicked 'edit' but doesn't show otherwise. :huh: