Table Saw Blade Guards

Most of you know that I'm a beginner. I'm trying to learn as much as I can and develop good and safe habits.
dancegirl2.gif

I like working with my TS blade guard. In fact, I hate to take it off, and my instruction book says to never take it off. Also, it's not so easy to take it off. It's not a 30 second move.

There's a blade guard and a riving knife. It has become clear to me that it's impossible to make lots of different cuts with it on, and it seems that lots of you more experienced peeps never work with one.

So I'd like to ask what people do? Do you always keep it on? Do you sacrifice making certain cuts because you won't take it off? Take it off only when necessary? Take off the guard but not the riving knife? Always keep it off? How can I possibly use my saw to its fullest potential if I never take it off? I'm wondering how amateurs and professionals handle this.

Thanks for any and all replies.
kaffeetrinker_2.gif

IMHO, the splitter or riving knife is the more important component and less cumbersome than the blade guard. Historically I've been more likely to keep the riving knife in place than the guard, but I've recently added a BORK Blade Guard to my setup and it's less intrusive than other guards I've used in the past, so I try to keep it on whenever possible. Unfortunately, there are just some operations when neither is feasible to keep on.

I think you would be wise (as a beginner) to try to use your blade guard as much as possible, unless (or until) you see it being a hazard for a particular cut you are planning to make.

When I first learned to use a tablesaw in high school, there was no blade guard on the saw, so that's what I got accustomed to. After high school, most of the saws I used also didn't have guards, but on those that did, the guard was in my way for many of the cuts, so I developed a dislike for them. On the first tablesaw I bought for myself (a cheap benchtop) I tried to get accustomed to using using the guard, but after a couple of dangerous situations while ripping some relatively thin pieces, I took the guard off for good. When I got my current Ridgid TS3650, I installed it once to see how it fit and how smoothly it lifted when feeding a board under it, then promptly took it off and put it on a shelf.

My tablesaw doesn't have a riving knife, but I've seen the consequences of not having some type of splitter, so I use the MJ splitters any time I'm ripping wood or doing wide crosscuts.

One thing I do do differently from what I learned in high school: I don't use push sticks on the tablesaw anymore. I much prefer the Grr-ripper push block. I feel I have much better control with the Grr-ripper than with push sticks. (I use push sticks on the bandsaw a lot, though.)

Disclaimer: These are my personal opinions and I'm not advocating that anyone else follow my lead. Use the tools in whatever way makes you feel safest and under the best control of the cut. If that's wearing full body armor and using remote control feeders, or if it's barefoot standing in a puddle of grease feeding wood while you're on the cell phone, do whatever feels best to you. :thumb:

I'm not sure where my blade guard is. Probably in a box under my workbench. Like Vaughn, every table saw I've learned on since Jr. High school has had it removed.

There are some cuts you just can't do with the blade guard on but I would suggest that you keep it on and use it until you gain confidence and experience.

I made my own riving knife for my saw but I really like the
MJ splitter that Vaughn has.

I use the blade guard on everything.....except for two procedures.

The first, when I use the dado blade.....and second....when I use the "super Sled".....here is the link for it. Very easy to make, and very versatile! Try making one Cynthia.

http://eaglelakewoodworking.com/post/Super-Sled-Crosscut-and-Miter-Sled.aspx

The nice thing about the sled is that it keeps the workpiece in perfect position for the cut, thus helping to eliminate kickback, (which has been known to happen to me!:eek:)

I use mine for everything I can. I obviously can't use them for dadoes, but if you have an overarm assembly you could.

I need to save my pennies and order a Shark Guard, and then decide if I want to modify my OEM guard and riving knife to an overarm unit for dado use.

Just buy the Sawstop. It is so amazing, you won't need the blade guard (funny that it comes with one though):thumb:

Seriously though, I recommend you use it for everything you do on the tablesaw until you are comfortable removing it. Just remember removing it increases the chance of you losing body parts and if that happens it is your fault, not the saw manufacturers.

I keep all my blade guards in the same place all the time.:thumb::thumb::thumb:
Even the guards to saw I don't have any more are on that shelf. :thumb::thumb:

I don't use the guard on my saw, I've got a Bosch 4000 (I think yours is the 4100 the newer version). I do like using the riving knife and it helps greatly with the wood pinching the blade, but I seldom use it either. I make all my TS inserts myself and it is easier to make them without the cutout for the riving knife.

I have had kickbacks before when I've done something boneheaded, but if I do things properly, use proper items to push the wood through like the grripper (which supports the wood on BOTH sides of the blades) I've had no problems.

I would stick with what you are comfortable with. If you can do the cut safely with the guard in place, keep it in place, then step down to the riving knife, then to nothing as the project/cut requires.

If you do something your not comfortable at all doing, then that is the greatest safety hazard in my opinion. While being a little uncomfortable can be a good learning experience, when it comes to safety it is always worth the extra trouble and time to be on the cautious side. Fingers can't be grown back and even if they are sewn back on most the time they don't function exactly the same.

Just my opinion...

Brian

I've honestly never used a saw with one on it, not even in HS. When I bought mine, I was stumped...had no idea what it was for.

That being said...use your best judgment.

Cynthia,

Always use it. Always, always, always. Don't listen to anybody saying anything otherwise. Always use it.

Yikes! Ouch!

Thanks,

Bill

^^^
Agreed! whether it's 30 seconds or 30 minutes of putting it on or taking it off{when/if required}, beats 30 days or more rehab/recovery... << BTDT trust me.

And add me to the gripper ripper group, best thing since microwave popcorn :thumb:

I ordered a GrrrrRipper a few days ago from LV--just waiting for it and a few other odds and ends :rofl: :rofl:

Order another so you can use them in a hand over hand technique worth every dime you'll pay for them. & you can set them up like you see in the picture.

Mine have a few nicks & cuts in them but my fingers are fine.

Attachments

• 100_1052.JPG
    100_1052.JPG
    47.5 KB · Views: 12
  • 100_1053.JPG
    100_1053.JPG
    45.3 KB · Views: 11
Last edited: