carving tools.

R

Richard Smith

I have had people say that you should never keep your chisels in a canvas roll. Does anyone understand this? :huh:

Hey Richard. Wish I knew how to carve. Not something I've invested in yet, but I thought a canvas or leather roll was the recommended way to store the chisels to prevent damage. What was the logic of those who said you shouldn't?

Hi Richard,

"People" say the same about leather rolls. In part it has to do with trapping moisture. With leather, too, there is the issue of the chemicals and salts used in tanning being corrosive. But there are leather rools made without those salts.

I have kept two large canvas rolls of carving tools for years with no problems. As well, my first set of Marples carving tools I have used a heavy cloth to wrap them up in since the 1960s.

So I think it more has to do with where the rolls themselves are kept, than whether one uses canvas rolls.

Take care, Mike

Thanks Mike! I keep mine in a canvas roll and no problems. By the way, I saw a guy at a show one time. He took a piece of 2x4 the lengt of his roll and layed it down. Took a second piece the same size and fastened it on edge to the first. You have an upside down T shape. Now you take your roll and drape it over this. The tools will be held up in the roll. You can use your tolls right from the roll. Comprende?

Hi Richard--yep, I do "see" it.

I do something similar if I am using the tools right out of the rolls. Most times, though, I remove the tools I am using and use a single 1x1 to lay the carving tools up on, handles on the bench and the cutting edges mostly away from me.

I got into that habit from my grandfather when using rasps and files to keep them from being laid across each other and at the same time easy to see and select what one wants to use.

One of these days I will build portable case which each half separates form the other. The inside halves will have sliding covers which will form a stand to hold the respective halves up at an angle. This idea is from Yeung Chan's portable toolbox which was in a Fine Woodworking issue a few years ago.

box_open2.jpg

Take care, Mike

I was reading a carving mag. today. In this article the man said that by reaching for a tool in a roll, you run into the danger of being cut on the tools pointing the other way. He said take out all the tools you will be using first

It's good advice--and certainly can help to keep one's blood where it belongs!

I also find tool selection easier if the tools are pointing away from me. Don't know why, really. Might be just because of my habit of laying them on the 1x1 I expect them that way.

Take care, Mike