Furniture Repair Questions

I have some furniture repair questions. I waited until the last of our furniture arrived today, so I could take a close look at everything post pictures.

Problem #1

This was damaged in the *previous* move from Calgary to the Lower Mainland, BC. I noticed it too late to do anything about it. This is an oak armoir that I bought in France in 1985. It's an old-fashioned type of armoir that comes apart fairly easily into about a dozen pieces. Notice the carved piece, front and center that has the tip broken off. It's not a big piece but it's very noticeable because the color is different and it's a flat edge.

How in the world do you fix that?

armoir1.jpg

armoir2.jpg

armoir3.jpg

Problems #3 and #4.

I have 3 matching pieces from my grandparents. I don't know anything about them, don't know the wood, don't know the finish; I got them from my mom when they died. My grandparents lived a simple and modest life and I never thought much about these pieces until the appraiser who came to look at the armoir before the move, said on his way out, oh, BTW, those are worth a lot of money.

The round one is okay. The 2 end tables are damaged from living with teenagers. One is worse than the other, but the damage is only on top. You can see in the photos that one has quite a bit of the finish and stain worn off on top at the edge. The other has a rough patch in the middle on top. Don't know what happened there. They both have some scratches on top. Any ideas what's involved in fixing these? BTW the tops of both tables have a lot of crackling in the finish--I don't know if they are supposed to or not........

I'm not planning on doing this myself unless it's DEAD EASY. I just want to know what's involved.....

endtable1.jpg

endtable1closeup.jpg

endtable2closeup.jpg

Do you still have the missing piece from the armoire? If so, and if it fits cleanly into the broken spot, some gel CA glue would be a quick and easy fix. If you don't have the missing piece, then I'd say it's either get Dave or someone like him to make a new piece, or use chisels and abrasives yourself to carve (smooth out, essentially) the broken area to look more like it was planned that way. Then follow up with careful application of dye to batch the existing color, then a clear finish of some sort.

Normally, I'd think the end tables should be a pretty easy strip and/or sand on the top, then re-application of the clear finish. (Lacquer?) But I'm not sure how to handle the gold filigree part without looking at it more closely, and even then I'd only be guessing. Dave will probably have some real-world experience with that sort of thing.

I know exactly what you should...send them to me for indefinite storage :D

Sorry I could not resist those are great pieces, I would first going out and taking names and breaking legs of the guys that did that damage:D

Dave is your man for this:thumb: