I know nothing!....about tools

Kris Petrosky

Alright, so being the young guy i am, and my dad being as creative a sack of hammers. Didn't have the whole father son woodworking projects that some of you may or may not have had. I know jack about tools, all I have is a list of what a fully stocked workshop would have but for now I probably be better going for "beginner level." I'm on a low budget since my dad doesn't buy anything that isn't for himself. :huh:

What I'd be fine with is just some cheap tools that will last a few years till I'm out of college and can buy some more expensive durable ones. Of course with my obsession for keeping things neat and clean, cheap tools could last a long while. :thumb:

Do you know what type(s) of woodworking you'd like to do? And can you give us a hint about how much you'd like to spend initially?

And I didn't grow up in a woodshop either. When I told my family I was taking it up, I heard things like "ridiculous" "preposterous" "impossible". It's a learned skill. Anyone can learn it. :thumb:

Kris, I built an armoire, some tables, 30 adirondack chairs, outdoor lounge chairs, and 4 or 5 outdoor sets of furniture with a 99 dollar ryobi table saw and a 99 dollar ryobi mitre saw.
I had a few hand held tools but purchased a battery operated ryobi set.

You can pick up tools to start used for incredible prices. Tag sales. Estate sales, garage sales, craigs list, and ask all your friends at college.
Maybe someones dad or grandfather has some old tools he doesnt use anymore, and its perfect to get started.

April and may is a big time for garage sales, so watch the local papers.

My local pennysaver, has a section finds under 100 dollars, and I often see power tools listed there.

I'd be building a wide range of things, the first endeavor is a workbench. The 2nd will be refinishing and adding/removing pieces of an old desk. It'll probably be a workshop full of hand made stuff, no prebought stuff can fill my need to make stuff match e.g. red bench, black desk...yuck So all i can say is really just expect me to build it all lol. Besides craigstlist are there an other sites that would be good, also is their a brand name that would be good to focus on?

Thanks for your help...hmmm wonder if there is a pennysaver in our paper.

Chris have you had a go at any projects yet even with Dads basic tools?

My suggestion is start with hand tools.
In my view get the basics under your belt just like some of us got at school back in the day.
If you want to follow down this road then get a few choice tools either used good stuff or new.
Here is my list if I were in your shoes
1) square. $12.00 empire tool 6 inch
2) hand saw maybe a tennon saw but a large one.
3) no. 5 jack plane
4) set of chisels
5) make your own mallet as a starter project
6) Cordless drill
7) set of screw drivers
8) decent tape measure
9) decent 18 inch or 12 inch steel rule
10) some clamps
11) some lumber to make a work bench
12) the a woodworking vice for the bench
13) you will need some clamps but I don't know what I would recommend here

The with that lot you can do a ton of projects and get to learn the basic joints and techniques

Look for a post school part time class at the college get taught a few basics so you don't pick up bad habits that become hard to get rid of later.

Do a fair bit of reading and asking here and you will be off to a great start.
Most of all make it fun and have fun doing.
I find woodworking very relaxing and rewarding and I sure most here do too.

My suggestion is start with hand tools.
Here is my list if I were in your shoes
1) square. $12.00 empire tool 6 inch
2) hand saw maybe a tennon saw but a large one.
3) no. 5 jack plane
4) set of chisels
5) make your own mallet as a starter project
6) Cordless drill
7) set of screw drivers
8) decent tape measure
9) decent 18 inch or 12 inch steel rule
10) some clamps
11) some lumber to make a work bench
12) the a woodworking vice for the bench
13) you will need some clamps but I don't know what I would recommend here

Kris, to Rob's list I would add a spiral notebook and some pens/pencils to write down what you need, your wish list, your measurements of whatever your working on etc. I couldn't function without one.

For clamps I suggest starting with at least 2 quick release plastic clamps, the bigger the better.

For a drill, don't get a tiny light-weight one. I find mine never has enough torque for what I want to use it for.

Lots of people more experienced than me are going to weigh in here, but I've just started, and I already realize the mistakes I've made on purchases.

Like Allen said, for power tools, I'd start with a miter saw and a table saw.

For a miter saw, you don't need a big fancy dual bevel 12" sliding one. A 10" single bevel would suit you for a long time.

For a table saw, if you're not sure of your commitment, get a smaller "contractor" type saw. If you're committed then get the best one you can afford. In short order, assuming you want to use some power tools, you'll find it's the most important tool in the shop.

And I'd add a circular saw. I have 2 but prefer the smaller lighter one whenever possible. It only has a 4 3/8" blade.

After you're comfortable with those tools, the next ones I'd add are a drill press and a router.

I suggest hanging around here as much as possible, asking questions, and watching lots of youtube videos. I quite like the "woodwhisperer" ones. If you send me a PM with your address, I'll send you a couple of beginner books that I've outgrown.

For finding used stuff, I'd also recommend a Habitat for Humanity "Re-store" that often has tools. Don't know if you're near a big city that has one or not. I also suggest telling everyone you know that you're interested in acquiring some used tools....you might be surprised at what you come up with. And follow the classifieds here.....you never know. :thumb:

I hope this helps.

Awesome, thanks alot guys, we have a family party for my sister coming up, I'll give a shout out to tools from my family. :) And thanks for the effort put into the lists really helped alot. I'll have to see what I have in the way of classes, sadly I don't find my college to be creatively motivated, so probably won't find woodworking classes. I'll have to keep up with home depot or see if theres any other places that do it.

Library

Hi,

Don't forget the public library. There are a great number of books for beginners. If your library does not have them, they can probably get them from a "sister" library or the County Library.

Let us know where you are. You do not have to be specific if you don't want to...at least give us the state, the town or city would be nice. If you are close to me I have a few good old tools I would give you. If you are in Boise, Clevland, Youname it, there is probably someone there that would part with some "extra" tools.

Many woodworking tools are dangerous. Learn the safety rules and follow them and you will be fine...Ignore them and you are very apt to be sorry. Just ask the FWW members in a thread and see what responses you get.

Lots of luck to you.

Enjoy,

Jim

Last edited:
...also is their a brand name that would be good to focus on?...

For the most part, you'll be better off to not focus on one particular brand. There are some brands that have pretty good tools across their product line, but they are not inexpensive, and in a lot of cases you're paying extra for the label. (Festool, for example.) And there are other brands that are pretty low quality across the board, but they have a few gems in their product lineup that can be a good bargain. (Harbor Freight, I'm looking at you.) ;)

Also, brand quality can change over time. For example, there are brands that were once highly-regarded mainstays of the business, but through the process of mergers and acquisitions, their tool quality has dropped considerably. For example, many Rockwell products made in the '50s and '60s were excellent industrial tools, but now they are just inexpensive Asian hobbyist tools that are OK, but not excellent. Black and Decker used to make great, professional-quality tools. Now, they are near the bottom of the list in most tool reviews, best suited for the guy who uses his sander only once a year or so. Delta is still a very prevalent brand, but most of the newer Delta stuff can't hold a candle to the older Delta machines. Craftsman used to be a great brand. These days, some Craftsman tools are still good, but others are worthy of the "Crapsman" nickname.

Conversely, many early Grizzly tools were unadulterated junk, but nowadays they make many good to very good tools sold at a reasonable prices.

Another common thing you'll see is that some companies make a great X, but their Y is sub-par. For example, General makes a great benchtop mortising machine, but their lathes don't compare to comparably-priced models from other companies. (They're not bad, but there are better choices.)

Lastly, although not related to the "which brands?" question, you'll see repeated over and over that cheap tools cost more in the long run than good tools. A $25 sander is not much of a bargain if it only lasts 1/10 as long as a $50 sander. I think most of us have experienced that firsthand, and some of us still have to re-learn the lesson from time to time. By "cheap" I'm talking about the quality, not necessarily the price. A lot of good work can be done with inexpensive tools, but a lot of wood gets butchered by folks trying to get cheap tools to work properly.

Kris,
Allen Levine had great advice for you. No reason at all to go crazy buying tools. Ryobi is a decent brand to start out with. Pretty good quality tools.
Craigs list has some great deals if you have patience to wait for the best deal.
Also, search CL for a used Shopsmith tool. They are real expensive to buy new but sell for cheap money used. Check out Shopsmiths website to see what they are all about.

If you buy any used tool be sure to download an instruction manual if one doesn't come with the tool. Read and follow the safety instructions carefully!!

Kris, like you I was raised without the benefit of my father's experience with woodwork. He was a service man for an electrical power supplier and really good at his job but wasn't much with woodwork. My grandfather was a great woodworker but I didn't get much time to spend with him. As I was old enough to learn he was interested in teaching me but wasn't in good health so he passed away before imparting much knowledge about his skills.

A lot of my first tool purchases were from auctions that I would attend with grandpa. Mostly just this odd tool and that one until they started piling up and making a pretty good set of tools. Flea markets are also good places to find good used tools but stay away from some of the newer late model stuff there as far as hand tools go.

I am almost completely self taught as a woodworker but have to give credit to a lot of people who have helped me in one way or another along the way. Now I own and operate a small 2 man cabinet shop. We probalby did around 12-14 kitchens last year and are on our 4th one for this year so far. I'm now a full timer with my shop and am happier than ever. Hang in there, make money, spend it on tools and before long you'll be able to do anything you want to do.

Welcome to the Family and the avocation.
Lot of good advice so far. Write off to the major suppliers and get their catalogs. Just reading those will be an education.
Understand that for about the first two years you will begin to think this wood working stuff is just about buying tools all the time. :eek: It will seem like that.
There are many items you will need to pick up for almost all new projects. That' s just the way it is. Good luck. Enjoy and keep posting.

I have to go agents the grain on this. You should steer clear of CL or used tools. I know people are saying what??????
Here is why as a newbe you have no experience with tools. With that you can not tell if you are being taken for a ride form that smooth talking CL add.
Also you have no idea what said tool is worth.
Look here brand new never used 14" Delta bandsaw what a deal for $400.00 bucks.
When that same saw can be bought new for $199.00
I see it on Cl all the time. Guys trying to sell tools at or above retail.
used tools are worth no more than 50% of the brand new price. I don't care if it is still in the package never opened or used.

Well, of course im adamant about using craigslist but im the analytical type meaning, I'd verify the price by checking out a newer version and seeing the price difference or just asking your guys' opinion on it. ^.^ Not trying to brag or anything but I live in a wealthy community so cheap resale shops, flea markets, etc. aren't very abundant, infact serious lack of general fun things around here, go-karts, arcades etc. Just your typical malls and dining places. :eek: I'll probably have to go for some drives during my summer vacation.

Again thanks for the help. After shuffling around a shelf and some large objects realized I have a larger work area available then I had originally anticipated :thumb: