I made a board.

Frank Fusco

Well....I didn't really make the board but my project wasn't much above that.
My daughter needs a shelf over her washer and dryer in the laundry room of her rental house. So, of course, Daddy offered to make her one.
Even with all the chunks, hunks, bits and scraps of wood I have around the house, I didn't have a single shelf suitable board. :eek: Not even scrap OSB or old plywood. Oh, well. So I took the tin mule over to Lowe's and bought an 8' piece of 1"X10" pine for $8.50. Buncha knots but I expected that. What I didn't expect was just how open grained and ultra-soft it was going to be. Put an ogee on with my shaper. Going with grain was OK but the ends just fuzzed up sumptin' fierce. But the big surprise came when I tried painting it. Using rattle can white paint it soaked in like I was painting a sponge.
If the end use was anything more glamorous than a laundry room shelf I would have scraped the whole thing and bought different wood even at more money.
Well, I ended up with a sorta painted board that didn't want to sand smooth and feels like it. I signed it with Vaughn's name and will hang next week.
And, for those who demand pics, attached is a pic of a board. :rolleyes:

Attachments

• board.jpg
    board.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 87
Frank, bet your daughter appreciates it just the same!

I'm not even going to try to join in the bored section... oh wait, I know how...

I have a friend whose last name is Card, he has a consulting/engineering company named Card & Associates Research & Development or C.A.R.D for short, when he hands out his business card, it is his Card C.A.R.D. card.

My real question was lost in my stumbling attempt at humor. :eek: Oh, well.
Now, the lumber question has to do with the quality of the bored ;) I bought. So soft and open grained it almost didn't resemble pine. I'll bet I could sip water through it like a straw.
Is this what we have to expect these days?

Frank, you weren't the only one attempting humor. I have found a small Amish sawyer near me. He sells me freshly sawn pine for about $.50 a board foot. I have to air dry it for several months, but it has both knotty and very clear parts, and it is great to work.

I rarely buy other than 2bys at the borg. Unless you can find a small lumber mill or sawyer, my guess is the new normal is pretty poor quality.