New bench almost done

Jeff Horton

This was posted in the 'old' forum and thought I would update what I have done. Also bring over a couple of photos too.

This started because I was feed up with lack of storage. So I put everything off and started to build a new bench base. Recyling the top on the existing bench.

Quick and simple lap joints glued together makes the frame. Surprisingly sturdy too!
frame.jpg

Simple plywood carcass for the drawers.

drawer_carcass.jpg

Nearly 2 full days of work to make the drawers but they are done!

done.jpg

Making all the drawers was like production factory work!

Ripped sheet good to strips for 17 drawers. (17 strips)
Cross cut them to size. (68 pieces).
Dado's the sides (136 dado's)
Cut the dado's for the drawer bottoms (136 dado's)
Bandsaw and routed the finger slots (18 pieces)
Cut the Luan into bottom panels (16 pieces..??)
Assemble 17 drawers

(Almost) finished project
finished.jpg

I added a back for rigidity and for extra storage space. Rearranged the shop and my clamps ended up in the far corner. So I needed new and better storage.
clamps.jpg

Still have to add some more brackets for spring clamps and some c-clamps but I like this!

OH I love that multi-quote feature!!

You didn't mention what material you used for the bench top. I assume that it is plywood of some sort.

Didn't think about it since it is was a recycled piece. It's just a tooby frame with 3/4" ply and tempered masonite. Basic but functional. I need to wax the top so glue doesn't stick.

Looks good Jeff, but that pencil sharpener would last about a day with me, I'd hip check it for sure :rolleyes: :D

I have a bit more space than you did Stu. ;) Plus it is (when it's in place that is) beside a metal post. That keeps me hitting it or I would do the same. ;)