Goin to Myrtle Beach

Paul Downes

Just wondering. I'm headed down to S. Carolina the first week of March for a little relaxing with the wife and kids and was wondering what to see woodworking wise in that area? I would like to do a little wood shopping for native species suitable for turning. Also am hoping to find some prickly pear cactus leaves to use in pen blank casting. I don't know if it grows in any profusion down there, but I know it is very hard to find in Michigan.
Also, I would be open to bartering with some local ww'ers on wood native to Michigan. With advance notice I could probably scrounge up something interesting.

Paul, if you go alittle further south to Charleston, give me a heads up. We have some interesting spots to take a look at. Also, going north, Charlotte NC has some good suppliers as well.

Hey Paul, where are you staying in Myrtle Beach? I've never been there before, and my wife and I were turning over the idea of going down for a vacation - maybe in September. (we homeschool, so it's no trouble to go then)

But as I've never been there, I have no idea about good places to stay. The issue is we've got four kids, and some hotels give us a hard time about that.
I found this place on the net: affordablefamilyresort.com
Which has a really ... How shall I say it ... it has a name that does not inspire confidence. :rolleyes: But the website looks decent, and with a one week stay you get a free pass to Family Kingdom Amusement Park.

Last time I went, there wasn't a whole lot for the woodworker. It is pretty much vacation (beach, restaurants, bars, pavillions, malls, movie theaters, etc).

It is a good time, but I did take some reading material with me.

Paul & Art.
What Myrtle Beach has a lot of is... people, golf, hotels, people, restaurants, entertainment, shopping and people. If you like all of this type of "stuff" for a vacation, then it's got it all. One thing they don't have an abundance of is what I consider "the great outdoors". It is a very developed vacation destination, overly developed for my taste. But the golf is incredible.

As an alternative, for folks who want to relax and enjoy nature a little more...yet still be close to other activities I would recommend several other Carolina Coastal locations. I enjoy Kiawah Island just south of Charleston SC. It's a beautiful place and a family friendly location. Beaches are clean and not nearly as crowded as Myrtle. Our family enjoys the miles of bike paths that take you all over the island. There are still some undeveloped areas that are breathtakingly beautiful.

Charleston is close by and well worth visiting. In Charleston, the food is great, and there are tons of places to visit. Popular activities include a carriage ride through the old section, a boat trip out to Fort Sumter, shopping in the old district, aquarium visit, USS Hunley exhibit or a stroll down Battery Row. Rumor has it that there is something called "The Seductive Chocolate Tour" in Charleston. Yumm...I'll have to check that out. And to top it off...Joe Blankshain is close by.

Hilton Head Island is also a favorite spot. It has similar activities as Kiawah but on a grander scale. At HH you are close to Savannah which is also a very interesting place to visit.

Disclaimer...I'm not a travel agent...but have enjoyed HH & Kiawah for years...and have a disdain for all the concrete they poured on Myrtle....

Hey Art, Nice to talk to another homeschooler. We are staying in a condo which we booked through our time-share called Blue-Green Resorts. This is a pretty good deal in that we can book all over the U.S. mostly East of the rockies. They don't quibble about the # of kids we fit in a condo. We are staying in one that sleeps 10. They have proven to be very well appointed in their accomodations. I don't like the sound of the touristy ambiance. So I will probably use it as a base of operations and venture away from the crowds. We are trying to decide wether or not to drive 2 vehicals down. My sons are trying to talk me into letting them drive the s-10 truck. It could prove beneficial if I want to haul a truck load of gleanings from the countryside. Wish gas was a lot cheaper.