Drawer Organizer - Files

glenn bradley

I continue my ongoing effort to keep frequently used items close at hand, regularly used items a few steps away and seldom used items out in the shed. As part of this effort I have a sort of tool purgatory. Tools who have not yet been granted a classification are placed in trial configurations and locations. These locations may change, groupings evolve and eventually they reach a semi-stable state.

I had various files in a drawer at the bench. They were kept from banging into each other by a scrap of wood with slots cut into it. Slots were added, widened, ignored, etc. while this concept ground through purgatory over time.

The day of decision arrived this morning. I removed the lowly piece of "test" scrap and replaced it with a nice piece or "real" scrap. Carefully cut the length to create a friction fit and load it back up with those tools that have survivied the decision making phase. Other files and such are relegated to the "few steps away" zone until their ultimate fate is determined :D.

This semi-permenant move has displaced my spokeshave who will continue purgatory until the next epiphany.

Attachments

• File Drawer 001.jpg
    File Drawer 001.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 116
  • File Drawer 003.jpg
    File Drawer 003.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 118
  • File Drawer 004.jpg
    File Drawer 004.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 147
Last edited:
Nice upgrade, Glenn. I have a bunch of files and rasps that I've inherited over the years, but they're all just piled in one of three drawers.

Bob, if you're ever out this way, maybe the two of us can sneak over to Glenn's shop some night just to mess things up a bit. You know, lay a screwdriver crooked on the bench, leave a drawer sticking halfway out, that sort of thing. I'll bet people will hear the scream he lets out when he discovers it all the way to Rancho Cucamonga. :p

Hi Vaughn, nice job, one question did you glue, or double sided tape, or screw them in from the bottom......?

It's Glenn (the other skinny guy) . . . learning from my first piece of scrap I made the second one a larger dimension front to back so it cannot twist. Then it is just cut to length to provide a snug friction fit. You just slide it straight down from the top and it stays there. A small piece of double stick tape at each end would work if required. I don't glue insets into drawers because things change ;-)