a fid

ken werner

So LOML is learning basketry, and there are a few tools specific to the craft, one of them being a fid. It's similar to an awl, but has a slightly blunt tip, and tapers flat on the sides, while swelling slightly on the rounded sides, so that one can insert it between slats, and turn 90 degrees to open a small space.

I started with some 3/16" steel rod, and shaped it with hammer, file and sandpaper. The handle is a pretty piece of curly maple rescued from our firewood pile. Brass ferrule from LV.

Overall length is about 6.5".

IMG_7213.jpg

IMG_7212.jpg

And here I always thought a fid was a temper tantrum thrown by a brat with a cold. :p

Looks great, Ken. :thumb: You guys sure have some pretty firewood over on that side of the country.

Very neat Ken now you taught me the name of the item:thumb:
Obit one of these handed down from my dad from his navy days. They use a fix to splice ropes and cables as well as making fancy rope decorative knots like you find on a bell rope. Very useful tool, you done real good with this one:):thumb:

...one of these handed down from my dad from his navy days. They use a fix to splice ropes and cables as well as making fancy rope decorative knots like you find on a bell rope. Very useful tool, you done real good with this one:):thumb:

Also known - in the Navy - as a Marlinspike. Used to separate the strands in a line (not a rope). Ropes are what cowboys use. :rofl::rofl:

Nice work. I have no metalworking skills at all....bummer for me. If I had only known.................sigh. Great job and +1 for "manning up" for the lil mrs.! :thumb::D

Thanks Michael, but I'm not sure I'd call what I did metalworking skill. I used a hammer to flatten a rod and then a file to taper it. Pretty rudimentary work. Unlike wood, you can make a piece of metal wider or longer.