Accident

ken werner

Well, I really am not a turner, but I am making a shaving horse for a friend, and after riving some ash blanks out of air dried billets, I was spinning a 2 x 2 x 24" piece of ash rather too fast.

Flew off and hit me in the face shield and face. All I can say is I'm glad I had the shield on, because the damage would no doubt have been worse. Most of the force was on my mouth. Both lips are cut on the inside, but not requiring sutures. And one front tooth isn't feeling great, but fortunately did not get broken or knocked out. My lips are pretty swollen too.

I think my mistakes were:
not fully squaring off the end that was held by the live center.
spinning too fast
applying too much force
turning anything big enough to hurt me

Here's what the face shield looks like. It has a dent where the piece hit. The red stuff is on the inside.

IMG_7210.jpg

sorry to hear yu got hurt but i warned you and others about the spinyy things they are bad and bit hard huh..heal quickly and be sure to eat lots of spicy and salty foods it helps the pain go away:)

Flexed and let loose between the head and tail stock? No matter, glad you are as good as you are. Dang those moments hurt don't they?! Here's to a fast recovery. :thumb::wave:

Oh, grind some ice in a blender and suck on that tonight, really helps with the swelling in the mouth. Don't put the ice directly on the area, you don't want to freeze it.

First...your ok...that's the best part.
Second...you learned a bunch of stuff.
My only suggestion would be a better shield. The gardener type's are really thin and flex a lot. Any landing you walk away from is a good one!!

Last edited:
First...your ok...that's the best part.
Second...ypu learned a bunch of stuff.
My only suggestion would be a better shield. The gardener type's are really thin and flex a lot. Any landing you walk away from is a good one!!

I agree with Jim and the face shield that you have has no support on the bottom edge. Here is a link to an inexpensive shield that I have and it has stopped some pretty good smacks to my face from the lathe.

http://www.websoft-solutions.net/Face_Shield_Face_Shield_p/bionic-face-shield.htm

Ow! I hate that it happened, but I'm glad it wasn't worse.

I guess face shields really do their job...

Very true. I've had it proven to me enough times I've lost count.

I'll third Jim and Drew's comments about having more substantial support of the bottom of the shield. I've taken a hit or two on my Trend that would have clipped my chin pretty good if I'd been wearing a lighter face shield.

looks like we gotta go back to the basics pop. Good thing I'm coming home next week. Also it's about time I got a new face shield... that one was pretty hard to see through...

looks like we gotta go back to the basics pop. Good thing I'm coming home next week. Also it's about time I got a new face shield... that one was pretty hard to see through...

Ben - Remember to be kind to me when you give me some lessons, please.

Drew - that shield looks excellent. Thanks for the recommendation.