Accident

Glad to hear you in one piece Ken :thumb:

I am also very happy that man more experienced than me have raised the issue of these types of face shields. When they have come up before as the subject of face shields has come up I have on the odd occasion not said anything because something is better than nothing but this again does highlight Bill S point the other day about cheap tools.

I have one like the one Drew showed it came from lee valley.

Main thing is you are okay and sharing this accident brought up the point of the face mask for all to see as a wake up call .

Thanks Ken .

Last edited:
Ken, glad it wasn't worse and thanks for the reminder to ALWAYS wear a face shield. Lots of times I don't wear one when doing spindle work...now I will. :thumb:

Glad that wasn't worse. The man who figures out how something that is spinning has the preference to launch at the operator's position will be on to something.

looks like we gotta go back to the basics pop. Good thing I'm coming home next week. Also it's about time I got a new face shield... that one was pretty hard to see through...

The Trend comes with the a clear visor overlay that you can replace (like the sheets they put on NASCAR windshields. You can buy them separately. Might be a good item to prolong the life of your new face shield.

Well, I really am not a turner, but I am making a shaving horse for a friend, and after riving some ash blanks out of air dried billets, I was spinning a 2 x 2 x 24" piece of ash rather too fast.

Flew off and hit me in the face shield and face. All I can say is I'm glad I had the shield on, because the damage would no doubt have been worse. Most of the force was on my mouth. Both lips are cut on the inside, but not requiring sutures. And one front tooth isn't feeling great, but fortunately did not get broken or knocked out. My lips are pretty swollen too.

I think my mistakes were:
not fully squaring off the end that was held by the live center.
spinning too fast
applying too much force
turning anything big enough to hurt me

Here's what the face shield looks like. It has a dent where the piece hit. The red stuff is on the inside.

You have officially been knighted in the art of doing spinny stuff... welcome to the club..... or maybe you were clubbed into the club????:rofl::rofl:

Attachments

• Copy of Day 2 - 2.jpg
    Copy of Day 2 - 2.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 13
drew, i liked that shield enough to order one up. will definitely be using it later on. i like the nascar thing, but i think i'll be a little cheap, and see how clear cling wrap works out.

Wow Chuck, I never realized how handsome you are. Looks like you came out on the losing end of that argument with your lathe.

[and in false Monty Python style middle English voice]:
thank you, my liege, I shall bear our coat of arms proudly

Yikes!

Glad it wasn't any worse than it is Ken. Man, that'll get your attention!

At least you were practicing safe spinning.:thumb:

And Ben-go easy on the old man OK. You know the whole old dog new trick thing.:eek::huh:

See you in Saratoga?