Propane Branding Iron tips?

Brent Dowell

Administrator
Staff member
Just wondering if anyone has any tips on using one of those branding irons that you heat up with a propane torch?

I.e. How long do you heat it up, how close to out put the flame to it? Just got one and haven't had a chance to use it yet and was hoping I could cut out some of the trial and error :rolleyes:

i take and heat it up with the flame right on on it and around the back side too.. mine is made of magnesium and i use mapp gas which is hotter than propane.. some woods burn faster than other brent and you need a flat and firm pressure to do it right then sand it afterwards to clean it up .. the last one io done wasnt hot enough i had burned some chocolate real bad the time before that and so i was gun shy and this time it didnt get real good brand but got enough to pass

Just a little gun shy cause the direction say if you heat it too much you can melt it :D

Guess I'll just put the torch to it for 30 seconds or so and work my way up from there.

Just wondering how do you know if it's hot enough?

Just a little gun shy cause the direction say if you heat it too much you can melt it :D

Guess I'll just put the torch to it for 30 seconds or so and work my way up from there.

Just wondering how do you know if it's hot enough?

That's why I always do a test piece. Since when did you start reading directions, I'm gonna start calling you Alice.

Well, I managed to figure out a few tips today.
  1. About a minute with a propane torch heats it up pretty good
  2. Heat it evenly or else you won't get everything the same color
  3. Rock it a little, but not too much or else you'll get big brown ugly square edges.
  4. You should practice doing it about 100 times before you do it on something good, or else you'll have to sand and scrape out a very noticeable divot on something you spent a lot of time carefully putting together.
  5. Make sure you have very steady hands, or else you will end up putting the brand on crooked.
  6. Make sure the intended recipient of the object has a sense of humor and is willing to look past your messed up attempt to brand the object in question.

So far, so good
    That's the truth
  3. Rock it a little, but not too much or else you'll get big brown ugly square edges.
    I'm still scraping those out
  4. You should practice doing it about 100 times before you do it on something good, or else you'll have to sand and scrape out a very noticeable divot on something you spent a lot of time carefully putting together.
    Dogs are still yelping...cat's too
  5. Make sure you have very steady hands, or else you will end up putting the brand on crooked.
    Pictures in a week
  6. Make sure the intended recipient of the object has a sense of humor and is willing to look past your messed up attempt to brand the object in question.
    You guessed wrong

All in jest (hee hee) :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Last edited:

I might add one more.
7. Get it right the first time. If you try to re-brand over the first attempt, you will never get it lined up.

Last edited:
I have one the is electric that goes in the drill press. Had one for the torch and we used to do like others heat it up then try it on scrap. Its always better to brand it deper to give plenty of rom for sanding the burnt surface off.