Oak Table

Jarrod and I started this restoration of an old Oak Table that has been worked on many times but never to the extent of repairing we are having to preform. Old repairs that were done done well , removing nails. A couple different finishes. 1st the top of the table need to be stabilized itself. There were 2 long cracks with the grain.
After we stripped it I filled the grain and then Jarrod made his repairs. I also brushed 3 coats of shellac on the legs, skirts and leaves. Just waiting now for the top repairs to dry. We used a 2 part epoxy filled with wood dust from the table.

Attachments

• IMG_5466.JPG
    IMG_5466.JPG
    32.5 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_5467.JPG
    IMG_5467.JPG
    40 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_5476.JPG
    IMG_5476.JPG
    66.4 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_5477.JPG
    IMG_5477.JPG
    40.4 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_5478.JPG
    IMG_5478.JPG
    40 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_5479.JPG
    IMG_5479.JPG
    42.8 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_5480.JPG
    IMG_5480.JPG
    44.9 KB · Views: 71
So, did you just break off the split part, then biscuit and re-glue, or did you rip it and plane it before the biscuits and glue?

Just curious.

I've done a couple old tables - never one of any significant value, though - by ripping them down the split, then runnig both edges thru the jointer, then re-gluing. You lose about 3/16" of tabletop that way, but it does give a nearly invisible repair.

Jim the one we biscuit was a clean old repair and the one we glued up we forced open and put the epoxy into it. By using the wood dust with the epoxy it helps to fill the caps better. The biscuit is to the right and the epoxy is to the left in the table pic.

Dave I am restoring a very similar table right now. What finish did you use? I decided to use Spar polyurethane because of it's heat resistance but am not real happy with it's leveling so far. Would you have any suggestions on how to get the poly to level out?