Ugly Tile Floor

If if were my house, I'd rip up the old, put down new. You can go over the top but it does open a slight possibility of problems in the future if one of the underlaying tiles comes lose. But if first layer is rock solid, it looks like you've got enough room at the door thresholds so the additional height wouldn't be a problem.

I know no one else has mentioned it, but there is always spray paint. It is cheap, easy, and fun! Spray paint fixes everything that duct tape and bailing wire can't!
(neighbors dog crapping on your lawn? Spray paint the dog hot pink. The owners won't let the dog out for a month. Teenager want to borrow your car? Spray paint your car multiple colors, they will willingly walk or take the bus instead!)

Well, it was a thought, never said it was a good one.:D

I've done a bathroom before with hammer and chisel and the tiles were well adhered. It was only about 50 sq ft. and took me 2-3 hrs hard work. I agree strongly with dan, if you're pulling up 350 sq ft of tile, rent a good hammer like he showed for a day, you shouldn't have any problem getting all the tile up with a tool like that. Better off spending $50 renting a $600 demo hammer than buying a cheap one imho.

Doorlink hated the pink tile in the bathroom. And the pink bathtub.
So she got some kind of white enamel, and redid it. Presto. Problem solved.

Well, not quite. She had to don enough chemical protection that she looked like a giant Doorlink-bug. And the house reeked for three days.

Send Doorlink over here. We'll put her to work. :whistling:
Whoever built our house thought it was a good idea to put a light-brown/coffee-creme bathtub in the kids bathroom :crazy::bang:

I think it was the same folks who built mine. I've got pink formica in my bathroom, pink drapes, blue carpeting, pink and blue vinyl floor in the kitchen, and blue tile downstairs. :rolleyes: :eek: :bonkers: :crash: :pullhair: :tantrum: :bang:

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm sounds like your feeling kinda blue.:rofl::rofl::rofl::chair::chair::scram:
+1 on the rip it out and start fresh.

Yeah, I would rip it out at start with a concrete slab. Then you know there wont be any problems later on.I would probaly go with a good eng flooring product. This way you will have a wide range of options to choice from.

Yeah, I would rip it out at start with a concrete slab. Then you know there wont be any problems later on.I would probaly go with a good eng flooring product. This way you will have a wide range of options to choice from.

Okay, I'm convinced. Now once I take up the old tile and I'm back to the slab (I'm assuming there's nothing else under there), what do I put down before tiling? What do you mean by eng flooring product? Do I need an isolation membrane if the slab is in good shape? The current tile has no cracks and it's 16 years old.

Cynthia,

An engineered flooring is a man made flooring, as apposed to solid 3/4 hardwood. ie. Pergo or engineered wood floors (plywood backed, top 1/4" is real hardwood) etc.

With tile you will just clean up all the old thinset and reapply thinset, tiles, then grout, then seal.

For any other product you will put a moisture barrier down (either a plastic or felt type or a troweled on product). The manufacturer of the product you install will specify what they recommend.

Brian

There are three common types of "wood" floor products -
* solid wood
* engineered - a veneer of real wood over a manufactured material
* laminate - an embossed/printed wood grain over a manufactured material

Solid wood can be refinished if necessary multiple times, most engineered products can be refinished 2 or more times, laminate products once you go through the top layer that's it.

The engineered products are especially good where there are great changes in humidity either ambient or from the subflooring. They move less than solid wood.

Go to a good flooring place and they can show you the differences in quality durability and warranty on any of the products.

Proper subflooring preparation is key to the product lifetime.

Regarding Pergo, it's a laminate.