Kitchen Remodel - Finished enough for pictures

Sweet!!! Looking great Rennie...

I have to say, having seen the location gives me an appreciation for exactly what is going on there! :thumb:

Sweet!!! Looking great Rennie...

I have to say, having seen the location gives me an appreciation for exactly what is going on there! :thumb:

Yep me to:thumb::thumb::thumb: Dang you went right down to the studs:eek::eek::eek: thats more than I did by FAR. Now you have a nice clean canvas Rennie, have fun and create what makes Jan happy.................OH you too:D:thumb:

Rennie from my experience in doing kitchen remodels when the client requests outlets to be horizontal we only rough in the wiring and let it hang out of the sheet rock till the cabinets and counter tops are installed. That way you insure that they are all the same height and will work with the tile layout. Nothing looks worse and stands out like a sore thumb than one outlet a 1/4" off compared to the rest.

Who knew?

I guess that knowing how poorly the rest of this house is constructed I would never have guessed that the soffits in the kitchen would have been built to withstand the second coming. :eek::eek::rofl::rofl:

I expected normal framing, 2x4, maybe even 2x2. Nope. That is a solid 2x8!:eek::eek: In fact, it is a box made from 2x8's. That is going to be a bear to get down. Especially with the 8" of blown in insulation inside of it.:(
DSC_0075.jpgDSC_0076.jpgDSC_0077.jpgphoto (800 x 598).jpg

On the bright side, I finished all of the wiring except the new circuit for the microwave. Might still get to that today, but most likely tomorrow morning when the attic is cooler.
DSC_0078.jpgDSC_0079.jpgDSC_0080.jpg

I still have blocking to put in for the lower cabinets and the microwave - I hate having to locate studs behind a cabinet.:eek: If all goes well I should be closing up the walls on Sunday!:wave:

Last edited:
Wowzzer! That's the momma of all soffits!

Looks like it's toe-nailed to the ceiling joists. Might be able to use the sawzall and make quick work of taking it down by just cutting the nails. :dunno:

Cheaper on labor to do it that way Rennie. That's what I was always told anyways. Rest of it is looking good,.
They did not invest too much in labor when they built this place, so you are most likely correct.

Wow! Now thats what I call a Soffit! :rofl: :rofl:

Wowzzer! That's the momma of all soffits!

Looks like it's toe-nailed to the ceiling joists. Might be able to use the sawzall and make quick work of taking it down by just cutting the nails. :dunno:

Yep, it's a winner. Just looking at it a gain I can see that the front board is toe nailed into the trusses. I think the saws-all will be getting a workout soon.

Well, for all their girth, they were no match for 20 min of sweat and a wonderbar.
photo3 (800 x 598).jpgphoto2 (800 x 598).jpg

Tomorrow I'll pull that last line and close up the ceiling. Maybe even do some work on the walls.

QUESTION FOR THE GROUP
- I'll be pullig up the old subfloor - 1/2" partical board - next week. I will have to replace it with 1/2" material. I'll use screws and adhesive, but what is the best material to put down? OSB or plywood?:huh: