More full moon fever

After using the track saw for around a year now and still impressed every time I use it I thought it was time to see if the Domino is all that its cracked up to be. I picked this up a couple of days ago. Apparently you pretty well have to use it with dust collection as the cutter oscillates as it spins generating piles of sawdust that can jam the cutter and cause a fair bit of damage even breaking the cutter. I am not prepared to buy another shop vac especially one of theirs in the 4 to $600 range. Their shop vacs are supposed to be really good in that they are very quiet, power switched with the tools and 99% dust pick-up, but the price! I'll see what I can jury rig out of some plastic plumbing fittings until I can find an adapter.

Attachments

• 102_8400.jpg
    102_8400.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 39
  • 101_0158.jpg
    101_0158.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 34
Now that's a great gloat! :thumb:

I have to admit I haven't seen too many project made with those, but it seems like a great way to do loose tenon joinery.

As far as the vacuum goes, I've got a couple of these I-Socket dohickeys and I love the way they work. I've got one on a smaller shop vac with a dust deputy and use it whenever I run the ROS. It's nice not to have to turn the vac on and off all the time...

Brian,

I've got the Domino and the vac (ct36). They are expensive, but they do outperform even the 6hp Rigid.

If you read the supplemental manual for this it really helps too. I know your going to love this tool! Congratulations!

You can buy just the hose for the festool tools and they hook up to a standard shop vac or your DC. If you get the gray hose (non static dissipating) it is a bit cheaper too. Still, $$.

A cheaper method is to buy the Reducing Sleeve For D 27 Hose Product No. 487071 for $18. You will have to adapt it to a hose (it is for the 27mm hose which is like 1 1/8") that you can probably get at Homers for less than the adapter.

Dust collection is a must as you noted! Pretty soon everything in your house will be domino'ed! It's deff a fun tool!

Brian

As far as the vacuum goes, I've got a couple of these I-Socket dohickeys and I love the way they work. I've got one on a smaller shop vac with a dust deputy and use it whenever I run the ROS. It's nice not to have to turn the vac on and off all the time...
Thanks for the tip Brent. I see that LV sells a similar item. I'll have to pick one up and thanks to Brian for the info about the Vac adapter. I asked at the place where I got the Domino but they seemed unaware of such an item. I'll check some of the vacuum stores around here and see what I can come up with. In the mean time I'll do what I did on the track saw, cut a slot in a 2" abs elbow and used a band clamp onto the tool. The 1 1/8" hose just shoves inside. It's bulky but works for now.

A cheaper method is to buy the Reducing Sleeve For D 27 Hose Product No. 487071 for $18. You will have to adapt it to a hose (it is for the 27mm hose which is like 1 1/8") that you can probably get at Homers for less than the adapter...

I have that adapter, and it fits perfectly on the 1" hose that Porter Cable sells for their sanders. It screws right on, and locks in place.

Then, I use the PC adapter (comes with the hose) to attach it to my (Fein) shop vac.

I don't have the Domino (Would like one, though!), but I use the hose setup with my Festool sanders.