DW 735 and Chips

Tom Blank

I just picked up a Dewalt 735 planer. Do not have it in the "shop" yet. Dewalt will sell me a 4" hose and bonnet to collect chips in a garbage can or drum. That implies the fan in the DW 735 has enough air moving to transport chips. However, have found some posts that the bonnet has caused some users some grief. Dewalt aslo advises not to use a shop vac due to the volumn of chips.

Also found several posts on Thein's cyclone separator lid. Has anyone tried using a shop vac with one of Thein's separators between this style planer and the vac?

My shop is a bay in the garage, space very limited and a real dust collection system is not an option.

Thanks for advice and guidance.

Tom

I just picked up a Dewalt 735 planer. Do not have it in the "shop" yet. Dewalt will sell me a 4" hose and bonnet to collect chips in a garbage can or drum. That implies the fan in the DW 735 has enough air moving to transport chips.

Tom,

My DW735 fan can move enough air to fully inflate the upper bag on my 2HP single-bag DC, which is connected to my planer by 10ft of 4" pipe and a further 6ft of flex hose.

Not that I would run my planer without the DC turned on, but just to give you an idea of the amount of "oomph" that thing puts out.

I've never used that hose+bonnet. (One came with my planer, sat on a shelf for a year, and then I sold it off) But do check the micron rating on the bag that comes with it! I'm doubtful that it is good enough.

Oh wait, sorry, I missed the fact that you work in a garage... if you plane with the door open, then Dust is nowhere near the same issue. I used to do all my planing on the driveway with no DC at all with my first 10" ryobi planer. It would just make a mess on the ground that I would sweep up afterwards. That garbage can "bonnet" would probably be just the ticket for that sort of use.

Last edited:
Hi Tom,

I use a shop vac with a LV cyclone lid for dust collection in my small basement shop.

Overall, I'm very happy with its performance -- though I don't have a surface planer (yet :D). Though I noticed the description on LV says "Lids are not recommended for machines with built-in chip impellers..."

If you want to ship the 735 out to Boston I'll hook it up & let you know how it works :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

-Matt

Tom I have the bonnet and pipe attached to a plastic garbage can while i get round to finishing my dust collector hook up and it works fine. Just one thing as Art indicated its a dust monster but catches the chips.:) The Fan on the DW735 is fine for this purpose.

no vents, instead of putting 6 clamps to hold it tight, I used only 2 or 3 and a bit of air escaped through the top, with a small amount of dust, as you can see on the floor. That didnt bother me at the time, since it picked up about all the chips.

Last edited:
Just wanted to mention, that if the output of this machine is able to inflate the bag on Art's DC then it is putting out quite a bit of CFM. A shop vac will only do about 100-130 cfm with a short 2" hose and a filter in place at best. The shop vac would not be able to keep up with the volume of air.

I've got a jet version of the 2 stage garbage can lid separator mounted on a rain barrel. It works great though it is hooked up to my 2hp dc.

If I were to go with your good idea of hooking it up to a two stage to collect the chips and dust I would attach a shopvac filter on the middle (now exhaust) port on the lid so my shop didn't fill with what little dust tried to escape. You might also want to weigh down the lid so nothing leaked out the edges.

This is just my untried idea so take it for whatever it's worth.

Let us know how you like the planer, I'm tired of coaxing along my belsaw. By the time I bought all the parts to repair it I could buy a dewalt or a new steelcity with the spiral head. Still going to keep it regardless, it was my grandfathers, but tired of having to adjust and fix every time I want to use it. I'll turn it into a restoration project as soon as i have a replacement.

Brian

Let us know how you like the planer, I'm tired of coaxing along my belsaw. By the time I bought all the parts to repair it I could buy a dewalt or a new steelcity with the spiral head. Still going to keep it regardless, it was my grandfathers, but tired of having to adjust and fix every time I want to use it. I'll turn it into a restoration project as soon as i have a replacement.

Brian

Been there done that.

http://www.familywoodworking.org/forums/showthread.php?t=8537

You can get gib plates with the screws that are in from the sides like we see used today in planers & Jointers, I think I got mine from woodmaster all the rest of the parts are from Belsaw. http://www.belsaw.com/ The style of gibs Belsaw used were very difficult to set as they tended to lift the knives as you tightened them. In the thread you can also see the improvement I made for dust collection...the 10" HVAC boot & the aluminum deflecter I riveted under the the top of the planer this has worked out well I couldn't find a 12" boot but it doesn't seem to need it.

I have this planer and love it. I have it hooked up to a 1 hp dust collector, but the fan is so strong it was over-running the motor on the collector so I just leave it off. I have lost the hose connection on occasion and it is truly amazing the volume of chips that comes out of it. I am still cleaning stuff up from the last time.

Glen