Spiral Heads meet Figured Walnut

glenn bradley

This discussion comes up now and again so just to add something to our knowledge base that can turn up when people search . . .

Straight off the Grizzly G0490X and G90453Z:

spiral head on walnut 001.jpg spiral-head-on-walnut-002.jpg spiral head on walnut 003.jpg

My knifed jointer and planer would have had this board for lunch.

Last edited:
Nice wood Glen, what ya going to do with it? I know you have something cool in mind.

I have not been able to figure out why the Tersa head in my planer does not chip out, being as it has straight knives. I can plane birds eye without pops, but no matter how slow I go on my straight jointer eyes pop. Been tossing the idea around of buying a new jointer when work picks up with a spirel head.

The other Larry

Of all the hardwoods I've worked with walnut seems to have the most stress :dunno::dunno:

Very often when squaring up a board the cut off peels of the TS like a banana. After jointing the edges quite often a few hours later it's slightly cupped :huh:

Of all the hardwoods I've worked with walnut seems to have the most stress :dunno::dunno:

Very often when squaring up a board the cut off peels of the TS like a banana. After jointing the edges quite often a few hours later it's slightly cupped :huh:

The walnut I get out here is very stable. I do get a real yowzer piece of mahogany now and again. In your case and mine, the source of the lumber probably tells the tale ;).

Last edited: