Planer - Mobile Cord Control

glenn bradley

I tend to manage certain facets of my shop environment by ignoring them. This method has worked out well so far, as anything of any real importance will finally tick me off and garner my attention.

I have been doing a sort of ballet with controlling the power cord for my planer up till a few minutes ago. Whenever I move the planer I have to be sure the cord has not snaked under the frame to be squished when I lower the mobile base. This issue just floated to the top of my ":gonnagetit:alright, I've had it" list.

Like most of the things I ignore it really only takes a short while to come up with a fix and implement it. I just hate dedicating what little gray-matter I have to these things while I am enjoying the sawdust :rolleyes:.

The crux of my problem is that Grizzly did not consult my shop layout when they decided to put the power cord exit point here:

Planer Cord Keeper 002.jpg

The addition of a little plastic clip using the existing screw did the trick:

Planer Cord Keeper 003.jpg

Now I can move the planer out and back, out and back, without the power cord getting under things. It just stays out of the way; at least within the range of motion I put it through regularly. This is pretty specific to my needs but, might trigger a thought for someone.

Planer Cord Keeper 004.jpg

Now, back to that project I was working on when my ":gonnagetit:alright, I've had it" switch got flipped :D.

Last edited:
I tend to manage certain facets of my shop environment by ignoring them. This method has worked out well so far, as anything of any real importance will finally tick me off and garner my attention.

Glenn, I realize that another member here thinks you're rather brilliant. He may have some reasons for his bias, but I'm not certain.

In any case, the above philosophical approach to shop maintenance confirms, IMHO, that the elder Mr. Bradley is correct in his assessment.

Last edited: