Beginner Table Saw Questions

Don, why is it safer on the opposite side as the fence?

These observations reflect my approach, which is how I learned to use a tablesaw in high school shop class. I'm comfortable cutting this way. Other people will have different approaches that they are comfortable with.

For rip cuts...

I have my fence to the right of the blade. I could turn the fence 180º and use it on the other side of the blade, but the Incra is really set up to be used to the right of the blade. I'm right-handed. When I'm standing to the left of the blade, I can keep my body completely out of the line of fire, and be using my right hand to feed the wood. The left hand can also help hold the wood against the fence until the last few inches of the cut, when it's just the right hand and the Grr-ripper holding and feeding the wood. (I start using the Grr-ripper on the last 12" to 18" of the cut.) As I complete the cut, my left hand is available to remove or control the offcut if necessary. I do move my right hand across the blade zone but it's above the blade holding onto the Grr-ripper, and I feel that's safe. (I consider the edges of the throat plate to be the "blade zone", and I never let my bare hands or arms cross that line, except when holding the Grr-ripper. I also pay very close attention at the end of the cut, when my right hand and arm have moved past the blade.)

If I stood on the right side of the blade, especially if I was to the right of the fence, I'd need to use my left hand to feed the wood in order to stay out of the line of fire, and I'd have to reach across the line of fire to hold the wood against the fence, and would have to cross my arms to do it. (OK, featherboards could alleviate that issue, but for the relatively short rips I tend to do, I don't feel featherboards are necessary.) I would also be reaching awkwardly across the fence and the blade to control the offcut after the cut is made. I can't think of a practical reason to ever stand on the right side of the fence on my saw, since I only run the fence to the right of the blade.

For crosscuts...

I'm always on the left side of the blade, using the miter gauge with both hands. I'm always out of the line of fire, and I'm controlling the cut with both hands. I let the offcut go where it wants, and don't reach across the blade to try to move it out of the way until the blade has stopped. Until then, I make sure I'm well clear of the line of fire.

Like I said, others have different preferences and different approaches. I went looking for a video or two to refer you to, but instead saw the gamut of tablesaw techniques...everything from "That's a pretty good idea" to "Do your friends call you Stumpy?" :rolleyes: The main thing is that you find a method you're comfortable with, while understanding the forces a saw can exert on a piece of wood, how to plan accordingly to avoid them, and how to keep from getting hurt if that plan falls through.

Right tilt vs. left tilt...

It's sort of a Ford/Chevy thing. There are advantages and disadvantages to either approach. Some manufacturers even make both kinds of saws. Personally, I prefer a left tilt, but that's because I run the fence on the right of the blade, and a left tilt blade can't tilt into the fence.

I've also read that left-tilt saw owners drive nicer cars and have more attractive spouses than those other people. :p