What would you call this and where can I buy one?

John Pollman

Hi folks,
I've got a question about a spring. I have a big yard that I can't fence in so the dog has to be on a cable. I have a cable approximately thirty feet long strung between two 4x4's and he has about a twenty-five foot cable on a pulley that runs between the two so he has a pretty good size area to run. Periodically I replace the lead cable when it becomes worn or kinked. Normally about every other time I'll replace the main cable too.

After doing this a few times and spending quite a bit on the project, I got smart and bought a 250' reel of cable that will to the job a few times and save a lot of money. I'd like to replace the shock absorbing springs on each end of the main cable too but can't seem to find any. Normally they come with the kit when you buy a cable kit like I've got but I can't seem to find them anywhere individually. I've looked at hardware stores and such and just can't find them. I guess I don't even know what to call it. Here's a picture to see what I'm talking about. Does anyone know what to even call this so I can do some more searching. Thanks for any input.

John

spring1.JPG

Never mind, I figured it out. It's called a "shock spring" or "decelerator spring". I just ordered a couple and they'll be here in a few days. I just want to redo Smokey's cable setup because the lead cable is getting a little kinked and I want to avoid any unplanned escapes. :)

John

You also need swivels, one at the top and one near the collar. And you need a really good pulley. Despite all, a rig like that requires constant maintenance. I once had a small beagle on a cable set-up like that and no matter what I did he managed to destroy it about once a month.
BTW, I called him my driveway alarm.

John,
My parents have a beautiful Golden Retreiver, and along with their neighbors whom they bought her from, put in the wireless dog fence surrounding their properties along with a neighbor between them, all told the dogs had almost an acre to roam on, very effective and the price was reasonable.

I'll be doing the same thing when we get down to VA,wireless fencing in our three lots ("city" lots... giving our two furkids room to play outside)... though I know they'll be scratching at the door ten minutes after we let them out.

Yep, I'm aware of wireless fences. I have at least three neighbors that have them. Two of them are very effective. My next door neighbor has one that works very well for their two dogs (Airedale and a toy poodle). A neighbor down the street has one that works well (Labradoodle). However, another neighbor a few doors down has one with two BIG Chocolate Labs. Works pretty well for one of the dogs, but on MANY occasions I've had to take the other blockhead home. I'm not the only one either. Several other neighbors have done it too.

There are a lot of deer in our area and I'm just afraid that Smokey would take off after one and blow right through it in a heartbeat. In fact, I did install an invisible fence shortly after we got him. He was too young to use it but I figured I'd get the project out of the way. The more I thought about it the more hesitant I got after seeing the energy level of the dog. If he were to get after a deer, he'd be GONE. In this case, I think a cable is the best option.

John

I just put a cable run in for my German shepherd. I skipped the packaged cable runs offered in the store and opted for a heavier cable and pulley because I heard that the former ones won't hold up. I didn't install and shock springs but just made sure to use a solid anchor and 2 cable clamps at each end. So far so good in one month.

I just put a cable run in for my German shepherd. I skipped the packaged cable runs offered in the store and opted for a heavier cable and pulley because I heard that the former ones won't hold up. I didn't install and shock springs but just made sure to use a solid anchor and 2 cable clamps at each end. So far so good in one month.

When my German Shepard was about 9 months old I strung cable between 2 trees with the same shock springs at each end. They lasted until the first time I drove up the driveway after being away from home for a few days.
(no, I didn't leave him alone. He was with my wife) The springs snapped in half and he pulled 50 feet of cable across the lawn to great me with.:rofl:

The best dog, and friend, I ever had. I still miss him :(

Bob, I might have to sneak home after next week. My wife and I are celebrating our 25th anniversary next week and after a few days alone at the condo the kids and another family are coming up to spend a few days in the water park. (then I go steelhead fishing:D). Anyway the dog will be alone except for someone to let her out and feed her. I hope she does alright because she is very people oriented.

Bob, I might have to sneak home after next week. My wife and I are celebrating our 25th anniversary next week and after a few days alone at the condo the kids and another family are coming up to spend a few days in the water park. (then I go steelhead fishing:D). Anyway the dog will be alone except for someone to let her out and feed her. I hope she does alright because she is very people oriented.

Send her up here Paul. I'll watch her ;););)