LOOK!! It's a bird....it's a bird.....

Frank Fusco

Really, it's a bird.
Living in a rural area can be a hoot. We love watching the animals and their antics. This window splatter was caused by a bird flying into one of our picture window. The detail is amazing, you can see feathers, the long beak and the head tuft. I believe it is (was?) some kind of wood pecker.
On another window there is a chickadee that likes to fly into it repeatedly. It will fly into it, get up fly in a circle and slam into the window again. After two times, it rests for about five minutes then repeats the process. He will do this for hours. :eek: Well, you know what they say about "bird brains". :D

Attachments

• bird splatter reduced size.jpg
    bird splatter reduced size.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 105
That is a great "splatter"! Is there a dead bird nearby??????

We had a bird (male Eastern Phoebe) that we dubbed "stupid" bird as he repeatedly attacked his reflection in a window for weeks. Nothing we did deterred him until one day he was gone. The next spring he was back and we put up with his territorial fighting for another month. He did not come back last year:thumb:

Cool. For you, not the bird.:rofl::rofl:

There was a Red Green video with him standing in front of a large picture window and every time he held up a bird feeder several birds would fly into the window. Very funny, but I have been unable to find it. Maybe one of our You Tube aficionados will do better.:wave::rolleyes:

Frank we had a red tail hawk and a dove hit our picture window a while back, it left an oily print similar to yours. My granddaughter who is six came in and saw it and remarked,'WOW, YOU KNOW THAT HAD TO HURT". It made me laugh . Little ones are funny, but honest!

We used to have what seemed like at least a bird strike per day, but then I got some little reflective decals from the Wisconsin DNR (they were advertised in the Ohio DNR newsletter) that have reduced the bird strikes to maybe one per month, or less.

They're a little - maybe 4 inches square - sticker that has some sort of prismatic reflector in it. I put two on each big sliding door, and one on each adjacent window pane, and the problem was pretty much solved.

That is a great "splatter"! Is there a dead bird nearby??????

We had a bird (male Eastern Phoebe) that we dubbed "stupid" bird as he repeatedly attacked his reflection in a window for weeks. Nothing we did deterred him until one day he was gone. The next spring he was back and we put up with his territorial fighting for another month. He did not come back last year:thumb:

No dead bird. But if it did die a fox or coon would have snatched it up real quick.

At the factory I retired from, maintenance people were on the roof of the engineering building to check the air conditioner and found a duck head. A few days later they were on the main building about 100 feet further north and found a duck body minus the head. To the south of both buildings the state highway dept. has a radio tower. We figured the duck, flying north, hit a guy wire for the tower and the head landed on one roof while the heavier body landed on the main building. Guess he quacked up!:rofl::rofl:

At the factory I retired from, maintenance people were on the roof of the engineering building to check the air conditioner and found a duck head. A few days later they were on the main building about 100 feet further north and found a duck body minus the head. To the south of both buildings the state highway dept. has a radio tower. We figured the duck, flying north, hit a guy wire for the tower and the head landed on one roof while the heavier body landed on the main building. Guess he quacked up!:rofl::rofl:

Groan.......:thumb:

You should send that to the Biology Department of an Arky University.....or your Fish and Game Department.... along with a few measurements. They should be able to identify the species.

That is a GREAT picture!