Note to self re: iPhone launderability

maybe in a few years. I just like my freedom and not be tethered down to the net all the time. There are only 3 places I go on the net.

Glad your mishap turned into a money saver for you Rennie. Sometime things work out for the better.

maybe in a few years. I just like my freedom and not be tethered down to the net all the time. There are only 3 places I go on the net...

For me, the 'net access is handy for Google searches wherever I am. But as Brent said, the real killer app is the GPS. That, tied into things like Google Maps or Yelp, has been very handy.

I almost never text or send e-mail from my iPhone, but I use the other "smart" features of it a lot more than I ever expected to.

but will the Droid play nice with my iMac like my iTouch does?:rolleyes:

I wouldn't recommend going to a droid if you are a Mac guy.

Having played with both the ipod touch, and the droid, I really like the droid and the freedom it gives you (multiple app stores, freedom of choice of music vendors, non drm media)...

I think there are apps that will allow it to play nice with Macs, but really can't offer too much info on it...

One cool app for the droid is the bar code scanner. You can go to the store, scan the code on the product box, and get prices and reviews from all over. Very nice.

And yes, it will play your i-tunes music, with a quick conversion to mp3. I hook mine into my car stereo, and everything comes out of i-tunes.

Thanks,

Bill

M phone is just a phone and camera. I can't imagine the need for all the other junk you guys use it for. I don't want access to the internet on my phone. I think all this technology is simply ridiculous.

That is until I started reading some of the applications you folks use.:thumb: I think I'm getting sucked into another vortex. At least this vortex doesn't sound quite as expensive as the "other" vortex :D

One cool app for the droid is the bar code scanner. You can go to the store, scan the code on the product box, and get prices and reviews from all over. Very nice...

Red Laser for the iPhone is a similar app.

M phone is just a phone and camera. I can't imagine the need for all the other junk you guys use it for. I don't want access to the internet on my phone. I think all this technology is simply ridiculous.

That is until I started reading some of the applications you folks use.:thumb: I think I'm getting sucked into another vortex. At least this vortex doesn't sound quite as expensive as the "other" vortex :D

Bob, it has really surprised me to see the broad range of apps available for the smart phones. Notepads, sticky notes, lists (I keep the grocery list going for several stores), calendars (synced to my calendar in Outlook), photo manipulation (including a very stripped-down version of Photoshop), clock radios, calculators of all sorts (everything from loans to restaurant tips to currency and unit conversion), weather info, guitar tuners, apps to remember where you parked, where to find the best gas prices, traffic conditions, speed trap locations, altimeter, GPS for driving, GPS for hiking, dictionaries, Google Earth, police scanners, thousands of radio stations, and so on. I also have a variety of games, although Midnight Pool, Yahtzee and Need for Speed Underground get most of the action. (Most of the apps I use were priced between $0.00 and $1.99. I have a few that were more than $5.00, but they were all games.)

I also have my entire music collection on my phone. In the shop, it's plugged into a boom box so I can crank the tunes louder than the DC and compressor. In the car, it sits in a cradle and gives me a respite from talk radio or commercial music radio. I also use a spreadsheet on the phone to keep my sales records at shows where I'm selling my turned work. I can even scan credit cards with my phone, although I've not done a show since I got set up to do it. I can scan the card, take a photo of the item sold, get the buyer's signature, and e-mail the receipt to them (with a photo of what they bought, and a copy of their signature). All of this in a little box on my belt.

For woodworkers, there are levels, rulers, protractors, and plumb bobs. You can even use the phone as a hammer. Once. :p

And once every day or two, I actually use mine to make or receive phone calls. :thumb: :D

Well, AT&T no longer carries the 3g 16, so I would have had to upgrade to the 4, at nearly $400!!!...

They're advertising the 16 GB 3GS for $49.95 here in LA. Probably just trying to clear out the remaining stock in the larger metropolitan areas. Good to see Verizon is giving them some competition on the iPhone 4. ;)

Just got done re-tagging my meager music collection to work more efficiently.

I picked up some 32gb micro cards for Sharon and I. My music collection won't even add up to half of that.

Guess I need to start buying more music...

just an FYI....
my niece has so far dropped 2... yes TWO cell phones in the toilet and as such I can testify to the rice trick. Take the battery out immediately and put it and the phone into a big bowl or baggie of rice. leave it for about a week and the rice should draw all the moisture out of the phone. Worked good for her both times!