I could get spoiled by retirement

allen levine

I knew it was raining out and I didnt have anything to do, so I slept until 11am today.

Really liking this retirement stuff.
I could get used to it.

Last edited:
Well Alan, it only gets better as you go. I have been retired for ten years now and I absolutely love it. It's great to go to the shop and do whatever you want to do and not have ant time restraints on what you are doing. Enjoy it you earned it pal.
Chuck

Good for you Allen. I've been retired for 11 months and 7 a.m. is the latest I've been able to go so far. Spent too many years getting up at 4 a.m. and haven't been able to shake it off yet. It is a good feeling to wake up at 4.......smile a little.....and go back to sleep.

Glad you're enjoying retirement and hope you continue for a bunch of years.:thumb::thumb::thumb:

You will enjoy. For me, it enabled me to open my mind and do things not possible when previously worrying about the ways of the world. And, you will find yourself busier than when you had things you really had to do.

My wife still works and she's very gracious about it. (Probably couldn't stand to be home with me:rofl:) I don't feel guilty but I do help clean house, wash laundry and do quite a bit of the cooking......that's part of the reason we've been married 43 years. She also lets me mow the yard :eek: I know that sounds strange, but for years, the yard has been her turf (no pun intended) and mowing had to be just right. Probably going to start sharing more of the load as I have been offered a part time job at the local hardware store. That will help pay for some wood. :thumb:

Well Alan, it only gets better as you go. I have been retired for ten years now and I absolutely love it. It's great to go to the shop and do whatever you want to do and not have ant time restraints on what you are doing. Enjoy it you earned it pal.
Chuck

Jeepers! I have less time since I retired, than when I worked. YES! I am enjoying it. I think this will be the final retirement for me (it is the 5th time I have retired---I really enjoyed my occupation).

Enjoy,

Jim

I knew it was raining out and I didnt have anything to do, so I slept until 11am today.

Really liking this retirement stuff.
I could get used to it.

I got used to it... when I was working I was usually up and in the office by about 7 am and until I got married and had a reason to go home, was there until at lease 7 pm, usually closer to 10 pm.... now I refuse to get out of bed anytime before 8 am..... I'm still up 'til midnight most nights though.

Also quite shaving the day I retired... I'll trim, but don't shave.

I retired at age 59. Was tired of the grind, and had a chance to sell my HOA management company (You can't begin to believe the hassles involved in that business!!) at a good profit, so wife quit her job; we sold the house in California, and moved here to Ohio, where it's a lot cheaper to live.

So...it's been seven years now, and we're still enjoying every day and every aspect of retirement. Boredom? No Way!!

She and I both enjoy our hobbies, our land, and our liesure.

As for sleeping in - she took to it right away, and usually gets up around 9:00. I guess I spent too many days (between 22 years USMC, and a hectic business after that) getting up way early, but I haven't yet adapted. To me, sleeping in means 7:00. I'm usually up by 6:00, though.

As for sleeping in - she took to it right away, and usually gets up around 9:00. I guess I spent too many days (between 22 years USMC, and a hectic business after that) getting up way early, but I haven't yet adapted. To me, sleeping in means 7:00. I'm usually up by 6:00, though.

I guess I adapted easily to sleeping late.. 0800, but haven't adapted to going to bed early... between the navy and my first half of my working career where I worked for the airlines, I seemed to always be on the night shift... even after I left the airlines and went into the forwarding business, seemed like I did nearly as much work between dinner and midnight as I did during the day... it's rarely before 11:30 or midnight before I'm ready for bed... then after about 7 or 8 hours, I have to get up or the back freezes up. There was one stint in my life that I went about 3 years sleeping just 5 hours a day... 2 or 3 hours when I first got home after the midnight shift and then another 2 or 3 hours just before I had to get ready for work... good thing I was young back then.