Couple of small gloats

Brent Dowell

Administrator
Staff member
Well, Not sure why, but the Narex Mortise chisels seemed like too good of a deal to pass up, so I picked up a set from Lee Valley, with a couple of other odds and ends tossed in for good measure.

FWW-4144.jpg

And while I was working on my drawers and the box swap, I decided I needed a few more clamps. I decided to get the Wood River clones of the older Besseys a shot.

I got the drawer one, with the little supports, and then four of the smaller ones to use for projects like boxes where I really don't need a 48" clamp...

FWW-4148.jpg

I might have to make a storage box for them out of OSB....:rofl:

I'm using the last one you made, so don't ask for it back! :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Those Narex chisels are pretty good - excellent, in fact. I've had a set for about six months now, and they've seen some fair use in cherry, walnut, and maple. They hold their edge quite well.

You will need to smooth and flatten the backs, though. Mine were pretty flat, but did have some milling marks in them. It only took about ten minutes per chisel - using diamond abrasive on plexiglas - to have them smooth and flat. Polished on the Tormek leather wheel, and that was that.

I'm considering getting the set of Narex bench chisels now. I don't really need them, though, since I have a full set of Japanese chisels that serve me well.