Maple Cracker/Cheese Platter

Well had a lady came in and wanted a cheese/cracker or chip/dip platter. Forgot to take a picture of the bowl for the dip before she took off with it. It was a 5" maple bowl. She was extremely happy with it and didn't say a word at $110. It is 15" across and the marble is 6". Finished with 2 coats minwax antique oil then 5 coats of wipe on poly. Also turned the handle for the cheese knife and got a lid to put over the dip or cheese. So I have a couple of more to make that are also spoken for.

Attachments

• Maple Cheese and Cracker Platter 2.jpg
    Maple Cheese and Cracker Platter 2.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 49
  • Maple Cheese and Cracker Platter 4.jpg
    Maple Cheese and Cracker Platter 4.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 51
  • Maple Cheese and Cracker Platter 5.jpg
    Maple Cheese and Cracker Platter 5.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 45
Nice work Bernie!! Did the marble and dome come from CSUSA? Where are you getting maple blanks that big or are you gluing up? Can't wait till I get my bigger lathe so I can do that kind of stuff :(

Nice platter Bernie and congrats on the sales! I used to get marble round inserts from Woodcraft, but they weren't that big. Used em for coasters!
Thanks for posting!
mj

Thanks for the comments. I appreciate it. Jim gave you the link. CSUSA has both the marble and the lids.

Jim I bought the maple from a lumber dealer who had kiln dried 8/4 up to 12/4 maple in varies lengths and varies widths. He sells all kinds of exotic woods including like wenge, zebra wood, purpleheart, yellow heart, bocate, cocobolo, etc in 4/4 only. He also has cherry, maple (hard and soft), ash, walnut, birch, poplar, etc in 4/4 to 12/4 in widths from 3 1/2" to 18". This maple was 15 3/4".