Layout pen

No Cynthia...I'm not. It's worse now than when I came home and I' ve had it. Back to the hospital in the morning for more invasive testing. I'll let you all know how it turns out.

No Cynthia...I'm not. It's worse now than when I came home and I' ve had it. Back to the hospital in the morning for more invasive testing. I'll let you all know how it turns out.

Yeah, Jim, I'm sorry. I didn't see your other thread until after I posted that. Let the guys have a look around--that's what they make the big bucks for ;) I'm sure they'll clear it up--chin up! I'm thinking about you. :thumb:

Thanks for all the kind words guys. It feels good to do something besides "rest and get better" :wave:

I am absolutely horrible at resting and I sincerely hope I don't get bad so I can get better.

Myrna says, "If you really get sick, I'm leaving." It is not because I want babying; it's because I just want to be left alone.

I put Myrna's quote in so that you will really know that you have my sympathy on the resting part. However, DO GET WELL AND DO IT SOON.

Dare I say
Enjoy,

Jim

Yeppers, it's the 2mm lead.
This is a nice click 2mm pencil from PSI. Can be easily made as a one piece pencil by eliminating the centre band.

I'm not trying to hijack Jim's original post, just showing you what PSI's Power Pencil can look like!

attachment.php

Nice job.:thumb::thumb:
I've got an Artist Pencil kit from Rockler that uses a 11mm brass tube, I have an 11mm bit but I'm having trouble finding a 11mm shaft for my pen mill. Does anyone have any ideas on how to square the end of the blank? I fairly new to turning pens, I've made about ten of them so far.:bang:

Jim, my kit included different sized bores (can't think of the correct term right now). The largest wasn't a snug fit, but I did the best I could and it worked. Another idea might be a stationary sander if you have one, jig it up and sand at a 90 degree angle.

That is a real nice pencil. I have a confession, I received an e-mail add from Rockler about two weeks ago and they advertised a 2.0mm mechanical pencil on sale. I ordered it and must say it is a great pencil. Just the right size lead for me, doesn't break easily and not too thick. I haven't shown it to anyone because I didn't put it together, but it is nice. It even has a 3" ruler on one side. Maybe I will check out the kits. Well I did check it out and I noticed PSI has the Vertex pencil and it is 2.0mm lead! I love the Vertex pen so I ordered 3 pencil kits. Maybe I'll be giving my Rockler pencil to my Son-In-Law as a gift.

Jim how are you feeling?

Nice job.:thumb::thumb:
I've got an Artist Pencil kit from Rockler that uses a 11mm brass tube, I have an 11mm bit but I'm having trouble finding a 11mm shaft for my pen mill.
Does anyone have any ideas on how to square the end of the blank?:bang:
Hi Jim; I'm fairly new to turning pens as well!:D Here's another way to square the blank that I use at times.

Select the nearest punch size from a Transfer Punch Set http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p=54892&cat=1,43456 that fits inside the pen tube that you want to square up.

Secure that in a drill chuck on the tailstock. With some double sided tape, secure some sandpaper on a faceplate on the headstock.

Turn the lathe on slowly and inch the transfer punch on the tailstock very close to the spinning faceplate. Tighten the tailstock down and holding the blank flat on the transfer punch, slowly move it towards the spinning sandpaper.

They say "A picture is worth a thousand words". Here's 2000 words!

They're a little blurry, too much hurry, but I think you can get the drift!
attachment.php

attachment.php