Salt Box tutorial part II

Jim Burr

I decided to make it 3 parts to cut down on the size of the pages...and I'm real tired too!! Don't have a whole lot of strength yet!

So we left off with coring.

Pic #1) In pictures all the hollowing was done with a bowl gouge, just because. Straight sides with a nice radius at the base transition are a nice touch. Some woods, like this cherry are prone to catching so be very careful...scrapers love to catch! Once that is done, there may be some tear out so a little 80g bath won’t hurt. Don't make it pretty; open grain helps absorb moisture so the salt stays dry.
Pic #2) Now we have to get the tenon off the base and lid.
Pic #3) You'll notice in the pictures I use chuck with flat jaws for this part. You could use a jamb chuck or whatever idea you come up with.
Pic #4) Either way...small light nibble cuts and slow speeds or you'll chase it down the block.
Pic #5) Finish off the base while you’re here with whatever you like. I did a foot with some ring embellishments.
Pic #6) Same thing for the lid...BUT remember the side with the tenon is the TOP. Refer to tutorial #1 Line pic's On the underside, you can add a rim if you like.
Pic #7) Both parts matched up!! Always test fit while working on lid or base. But if you mess up...contrasting parts can be cool!!

Stay tuned for the only reason you guys are reading this :rofl:. Tomorrow we'll attach everything.

Attachments

• hollow1.jpg
    hollow1.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 49
  • 2 tenons2.jpg
    2 tenons2.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 46
  • rechucked3.jpg
    rechucked3.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 47
  • remove tenon4.jpg
    remove tenon4.jpg