Shooting Board Rev 1 - Done

glenn bradley

I tried to take to heart all the different folks that said "Shooting Boards Ain't Rocket Science". As usual I perused everything I could find and rendered it down to what works best for me.

Here's a Sketch Up I put together to work from along with the parts for the base. I incorporated a UHMW strip as I had some handy. If it wasn't laying around I would have just shellaced and waxed the ply.

shooting-board-SU.jpg Shooting-Board-1-parts.jpg

I used the UHMW strip as a setup block for the dado stack.

Shooting-Board-1-rab-setup-1.jpg Shooting-Board-1-rab-setup-2.jpg

And here's a shot with the parts in place. Ooops! Is that a stealth gloat?

Shooting-Board-1-base.jpg

I need to knock off as I have an early morning tomorrow but I'll try to knock out the fence tomorrow after work.

Last edited:
Great shooting board Glenn, however, what made you choose this design and not make a ramped one?

This is my first one and I haven't bought off on the advantages of ramped shooting boards yet. Being curious I will probably make the next one ramped so I can see for myself what I like ;-)

BTW UHMV is some sort of Teflon?

Ultra-High-Molecular-Weight material is a polyethylene that is quick slippery and by nature "self lubricating". that is; is retains its slippery-ness as it wears and it wears pretty slowly in the proper application.

Here's some science that I don't pretend to understand:

"UHMW is a subset of the thermoplastic polyethylene. It has extremely long chains, with molecular weight numbering in the millions, usually between 2 and 6 million. The longer chain serves to transfer load more effectively to the polymer backbone by strengthening intermolecular interactions."

:huh:Shooting board?:dunno:
Not possible. :eek:
See no guns, no bullets, no bullet holes. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Quite right. I have seen them called Chuting Boards as well but, I see no coal???:D

As for my dad . . . well, you guys have gotten to know him by now :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Well, I almost made it. Can't make any curly's till the hardwood strip glue dries. Some of the elements I stole from, well . . . , all over, were the UHMW strip and the adjustable fence (fancy piece of scrap).

Shooting-Board-1.jpg Shooting-Board-2.jpg Shooting-Board-3.jpg

This shot (before I glued the hardwood strip in place) shows the small groove for any errant spoil. You can also see the UHMW is about 1/32" higher than the ply where the strip mounts to assure the plane body meets the scrap of mahogany and not the ply.

Shooting-Board-4.jpg

Last edited:
Hey Glenn,

Remember I'm an old goat whose brains have leaked out. I want to know if the following quote from you is a compliment or something nasty.

"As for my dad . . . well, you guys have gotten to know him by now."

Either way, you just go ahead and

Enjoy,

Jim

Curlies FInally

Wow, talk about being able to sneak up on a line. I was actually able to hit, then split and then complete the thickness of the marking knife mark!?!

The small pile closest to the knob is the first couple swipes on the board to set the rabbet for the iron along the mahogany strip. I am using a 50* iron and have the 25* iron as well (an early b-day present from LOML although she doesn't know it yet).

The middle pile is some long grain from the test board to make sure I had a nice square edge. The closest pile is the cherry end grain where I cut up and through the striking knife line.

Attachments

• Shooting-Board-2-curlies.jpg
    Shooting-Board-2-curlies.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 72
Loving the Shooting Board

This thing is like my table saw sleds. Once I finally built a table saw sled I couldn't imagine what I had waited so long for. I now have the same feeling about this shooting board. I had to sneak up on 25/64". Easy as pie.

Attachments

• Shooting-Board-in-action-00.jpg
    Shooting-Board-in-action-00.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 44
This thing is like my table saw sleds. Once I finally built a table saw sled I couldn't imagine what I had waited so long for. I now have the same feeling about this shooting board. I had to sneak up on 25/64". Easy as pie.

pretty safe to say that yu like that low angle smoother from veritas huh.. what model is it glenn? and the angles you mentoned was the the iron angles right?

Glenn, I probably know about as much hand planes as you do about bowl gouges, so I have a naive newbie question: Is a shooting board used primarily for cutting end grain?

i am not glenn but vaughn your conclusion is correct:) once the fence is on he can also do angled cuts like for frames and make perfect joints due to the control offered by a shooting board and a sharp plane:thumb::thumb: